Head Gaskets

Wht87T

All Throttle... No Bottle
I blew a stock one, and I dont think I wanna go back with stock again. Anyone have experience with cometic gaskets?

headgaskets.............

there is a reason why they are blowing out-

either you can run stockers and have minimal problems

or run the double stack steel shim gaskets used in the 84-85 regals, or felpro reciever groove gaskets-

IMO- use the stockers and dont detonate it ;)

Quick makes a good point, find the root problem why it blew and in whatever gasket you use will help make sure it doesn't happen again.

Maybe ran out of injector of fuel pump? Clogged fuel filter? Who knows could be a couple reasons why she blew.

Rich

Out of injector I think is definitely a problem. Those heads are flowin like crazy! I'm gonna swap out these gaskets and I'm gonna lay off the boost until I get some 50's. The car was poppin on the dyno, most likely from a lean condition. This time it wont be so bad I dont have to pull everything off the intake.

ohm out the wires, and check the coil pack-

if ya got a weak wire, it will pop and blow out the headgasket QUICKLY!!!

ive personally seen it happen on 2 cars here in KC-

the car just loads up and then BOOOOM, there goes the gasket-

HTH

I'll have experience with the cometic after Bradenton. I talked to them today and they seem to be a very nice piece. I think someone told me Cal Hartline uses them . I am putting them in on this refreshin. If you get them, the .057 thickness is considerably cheaper than the .067. I don't have a problem blowing the HGs, but I do lift the heads a bit and eat the gasket away. Anyone have any problems with the steels corroding where it contacts water?

Sully

I have used them on a couple of SERIOUS Ford engines with good successbut I was not aware that they offered one for our cars. They will be going on the new build up.

I think once you start running on the edge, the stockers are no good.......even if they don't blow, you will eat away at them with every bit of detonation and all that graphite crap gets into your oil...

when they DO blow, big mess....easy to say, don't detonate...not so easy to do...who among us hasn't blown a headgasket or three?

stacked steel saves you the mess in your oil and are more forgiving of "mistakes"......they are more likely to leak, rather than blow.....just pay attention to what is happening with your motor

Originally posted by azgn
who among us hasn't blown a headgasket or three?

6 YEARS and never popped a factory sealed headgasket-
i guess i actually spend the time to tune the cars, and not try to break em
;)

on my new motor im using the factory head gaskets on my ported irons with o-rings and my girdled 3.8 block-
hope to not blow them anytime soon

EDIT
ive been racing 6 different regals over the years, for 6 years

gets confusing after awhile:D

soooo, the bottom line is, you never kept one long enough to blow a gasket? :D

most of us aren't that good (or lucky)

I just don't want all the crapolla from the stocker in my motor

I'm putting on a set of Cometics on this week. I don't have any feed back of anyone blowing them so far but then again nobody I know that is running the Cometic have pushed them to the limit yet. They seem to be have alot more meat around the cylinders then the factory stamp steel gaskets. I hate to say I wish I knew someone that has blown a set. Anyone? ;)

Originally posted by azgn
soooo, the bottom line is, you never kept one long enough to blow a gasket? :D

actually i didnt say i sold any of them ;)

ive heard bad things about all headgaskets, and i finally decided to go with o-rings with stock headgaskets-

if your going to detonate it, then even the steel shim gaskets arent perfect-
maybe against lift, but "they seep"

im no expert at headgaskets, but im keeping it simple and going with the stockers

I've had the car for about three years, and never blew a stocker. I probabally blew one from a lean condition. I dont think my 009's and XP pump can handle those heads and ported intake. Time for some 50's. Thanks guys!

Originally posted by Wht87T
I dont think my 009's and XP pump can handle, those heads and potred intake. Time for some 50's. Thanks guys!
Well I think that 65 is basically a 63 with options so even 50's won't cut it for long and aren't a huge upgrade over what you have. Then if you step up much more a single XP won't cut it. I don't know what you intend to do but at least 55's and double pumper would be better. Then you would be real good to the mid 10's.

Intercooler

You're probabally right! Better have more fuel then needed, then not have enough!

Hey it happens to all of us. They break we fix em', thats part of the game. Going fast isent cheap.

Definitely get 55's at least, maybe 65's or 72's. You have a 10sec combo and 50's are at their limit there.

$5 says the 009's were really holding you back and your mph will increase with more fuel

Blown Cometics

Well I know someone who blew a Cometic. I have pics if anyone wants them I can send them, maybe someone can post them here? It took some wicked detonation to do it tho! and once it blew it seeped rad. fluid into the other 2 cylinders. The gaskets are made up of 3 steel shims the 2 outer shims are coated with Viton material so they can seal to the inner non coated shim to prevent water leaks. one thing I dont like about them is they have very sharp edges and this is not good for preventing detonation in the cylinder. not to metion you have 3 shims not 2 for fluid to find a way to seep.and you are not supposed to coat them w/t anything to help prevent leaks. so if there is any small scratches on the viton coating it may leak.

hth

Frank

Send me pics. Can you tell us what caused it to blow. How much boost, timing, gas etc. Sounds like these blew first and then had water seepage.
I installed my cometics with a little silicon around the water holes to prevent the water from even thinking about going between the layers. I don't know if this will help or if it needed it but I've been doing it for years on all my gaskets and have not had a blown gasket due to water seepage yet. All mine blow out the outside.

justav6@sbcglobal.net
Larry J.