head gaskets

What year engine/ configuration? If I was just trying to be safe here, regardless of year, I would say Felpro part #1000. Not too thin not too thick, composite, yada yada. '84-'85 steel shims are like .019 compressed, '86-'87 are .060 (I think), and the FP1000's are .039 (I think). Any of these have got to be a better gasket than what was used on the '80 block, if thats what it is. Im willing to bet the '80 gasket is the same that was used on the normally aspirated .231/3.8s, but I could be wrong :)
If this is a '80 block/configuration, ask the guys on the Before Black (non-SFI) Tech forum. Ask b4black, he will steer you right ;)

When they first came out, the Fel-Pro 1000's were the hot tip. However, I've blown/squoze more of those gaskets out, than should be legally allowed. I'm not a fan of them at all!
My last two motors I've used Fel-Pro Loc-Wires and been very pleased. But, you said you don't want to have the heads grooved for them.

In recent years, I've seen more people revert back to the GM factory gaskets that originally came on the 86-87 TRs. It seems they hold up just fine, and are very inexpensive too. Of course, I've always seen/heard good things about the steel shims too. I'd even be more prone to use the Fel-Pro factory replacements instead of the 1000's, but that's just per my multiple bad experiences with the 1000's.

Surface cleaning and proper torquing are key! And then, go back and retorque after a few heat cycles. You won't regret it!
And a good set of ARP head bolts should be top of your priority list!