Hawaii DMV

gmpower

I live in California, but I'm thinking of registering all of my cars to the state of Hawaii next time I come to Oahu. With 3 TR's and one more on the way soon, these California emissions laws are becoming very annoying. I'm sure there are others in California that have gone the Hawaii registration route to avoid these problems.

Is there a visual inspection required before a car can be registered in Hawaii? Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

There is also an annual inspection process that checks for locally required insurance, as well as required Safety items.

Registration cannot be completed without the certificate of inspection.

Some guys on the other forums are looking at registering vehicles in AZ.

Yep I heard of AZ as well. Just tought HI would be better since I'm planning to move there permenatley anyway in the future, but I dint know there was an annual inspection.

Thanks for the input, guys!

Which island are you moving to? Remember, the dragstrip on Oahu was shut down (if that influences your decision at all), but the SuperFerry can take you and your vehicle to other islands for drag racing...

My girlfriend and I will relocate to Oahu eventually, once we get the $ together. If the company I work for (AT&T) takes over Hawaiian Telcom, it will make the move a lot easier because I could then do a lateral transfer as a repair technician.

No worries about no dragstrip, I dont go to the ones in CA anyway.

Better find a house with a BIG garage... the salt air and high humidity kills these cars!

yep I am really lucky to have the garage size I do now. I already told my girlfriend we are NOT moving unless I get lucky with such a large garage again!