Have had plenty of Turbo Cars but new to superchaged..What to do?

Alaskabuick

Been TB member for years, but now just thinking about a superchaged car. Seen one come up for sale locally and I think I am just itching for something new.

I see a 98 Regal GS for sale, looks pretty clean with over 100k on the clock.

I know the turbo cars and how to make them move, but nothing about these other than the normal common sense issues with boosting a motor, detonation, fuel, etc.

What does it take to make one of these cars wake up to the point of being a 12 sec street car.

What is the standard upgrades. Im sure boost, fuel, chip and exhaust to start.

Thanks for any help..

Dennis

It's do-able, but dramatically more costly to do it correctly because of transmission issues, etc.

There was a company in the Columbus Ohio area (intense performance) that sold or manufactured everything you would need to reach your goal.

I believe they are still in business, just under new ownership.

I'm sure others will chime in with more specific details, but IMO, the 3.8 / 3800 s/c cars are mainly good for their suited purpose, and that's as moderately fast commuters.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

very easy platform to modify , quickest stock rotating assembly 3800 fwd went 8.6 @159 (ZZ Performance) mnay , many 12 sec daily drivers over on www.regalgs.org ( I am a moderator over there) as the poster above mentioned by the time you get in the 12's (your stated goal) you will be at the point of considering trans upgrades to tolerate that power level , but $3k in the trans isn't bad compared to what some platforms have to put in trans, driveshaft , loops , rear end , suspension to do the same consistently and many have been 12's without spending 3k in the trans .

As you mentioned your knowledge of boost vs timing ,knock retard , proper fuel systems , scanning ,tuning etc are all transferrable skills and will make the learning curve quick on the L67 w body platform. I have made low 13's on $1000 in mods before full weight car no spray and 12.1 @118 on another car with spray , trap says more traction and it would have run 11's , if it wasn't full weight it likely would have cracked 11's also had $4000 total in the car... Been playing with Ls1 Camaro's lately so I don't currently have an L67 car track ready but in the past I have taken a stock car and run 14.4 with it track prep only and about $300-400 in well purchased mods will get one top 13's.

Also you mentioned chip - no chip (prom) instead its tuning the pcm (powertrain control module) its either buy a tuner and you (or someone else with a tuner) tunes your pcm , or you buy a pcm with a cookie cutter tune from a vendor such as zzp or intense with a choice to send them your pcm or pay a core charge , I happen to have a 98pcm in one of my parts cars if you need a cheaper core than they would charge.

your goal of 12's can be achieved many ways , I will assume you want to do it without spray.. some have done it with addition of an intercooler technically an aftercooler as its located after the SC and before the lower intake manifold/sandwiched between which along with tuning intake , and exhaust mods will let you pulley down aggressively. Cam or high ratio rockers can make that goal much easier to get to and or far surpass it ( Intercooled/cammed cars with good supporting mods and knowledgeable driver tuner , attention to details can and have run 11's)

If you have e85 in your area you could also go that route as its cheaper , lighter , and one less system to deal with than IC , several guys have gone 12's on e85/cam/supporting mods.

All these scenarios are full weight , gut the car and you can surpass these numbers . if you think you may want to go faster than 12's be it 9's ,10's ,11's start out by ditching the sc and going turbo and plan on investing $4-5k in the transaxle to hold those power levels.

Most important thing to get good et's out of a fwd w body is getting the seat time and learning the attention to details to get these cars to et , making power is easy the series 2 3800 is basically a stage motor stock - it will take a lot of crap , its tough... get fuel air and spark to it and its going to make power its getting it to the ground without breaking stuff that's the challenge.

One of my favorite things about the platform is a lot of people don't know its potential , if you go to the track in an ls1 Camaro like I am playing with or a grand national , etc... people expect it to perform at least reasonably well , run 12's in a stock looking 4 door fwd buick with a 6 banger and you will draw a crowd after every pass and bust a lot of ego's , I really enjoyed my time racing them and plan to go back at some point and tsake the platform further ( personally speaking)

My daily ran 12.49 with a small cam, intercooler, headers, pully drop, injectors, 93 pump gas, Hoosier QTPs, and tune of course.. stock cat back and no weight reduction.
I do have a transmission that was built 7-8 years ago. Basic build with 3.29 gears and 300m input shaft.
People have gone quicker with less.

PRJ went 12.3's on stock cam, stock rockers, stock blower, stock TB, ect.. I think only mods was his transmission, his Intercooler, headers/exhaust, pully, intake, injectors and e85 and tune with QTP's...

e85 like mentioned above works out very well.

If wanna get brave and don't mind blowing money, turbo will get ya quicker times "easier" .. but either way a transmission will be in your future and need to pony up some good money
for one.

I myself gave up the idea of a "daily driver" that can run 10s.. and just built a track purpose car to have fun with. The old 200k+ 3800 block is still taking abuse. Its got a bit of weight
reduction done and other over kill stuff. But still has dash, heat, working windows... soon carpet will be back in and center console and passenger seat. They were all just trashed
when car was bought and just thrown away.

If you don't mind some of the headaches that can come with dealing with FWD 3800s (ala the transmission) it can be fun, and get some respectable numbers out of them
with not a whole bunch done in the grand scheme of things.

Good info above from jdredd , you on ls1 tech also jdredd? nice vid too ! cable mod or coilovers?

a couple more examples that come to mind were both gutted and spraying with very minimal mods (ported manifolds ,cold air intake ,pulley ,cutout , drag radials etc... one went 12.1 @114 and the other hit top 11's both made those numbers on stock trannys and both stopped when the trannys broke lol . The guy that cracked 11's had just under $1000 total in the car including purchase of the car , cheap used dry shot , used dr's and used mods , 11's under a grand all in ! then parted it out and made a profit.....

Good info above from jdredd , you on ls1 tech also jdredd? nice vid too ! cable mod or coilovers?

a couple more examples that come to mind were both gutted and spraying with very minimal mods (ported manifolds ,cold air intake ,pulley ,cutout , drag radials etc... one went 12.1 @114 and the other hit top 11's both made those numbers on stock trannys and both stopped when the trannys broke lol . The guy that cracked 11's had just under $1000 total in the car including purchase of the car , cheap used dry shot , used dr's and used mods , 11's under a grand all in ! then parted it out and made a profit.....

Ya thats me. Fronts are coil overs that PRJ designed for . Very nice setup. Refurbishable. If shock part gets worn, $40 to replace. Dont have to toss the whole thing out like the current
ones offered are. PRJ designed the specs up for us. For the rear just cheapy monroe struts and the cable mode. Best 60 foot so far was 1.56 on a day it rained right before opening of the
track for test and tune.. and no glue. Forsee 1.4x's this year.

I saw swiggles (Brian) mention someone in Kingston with a pulley puller but it was in eskimo619's thread on nepontiac , he is on here in another post in this section (3800sc) near the top (it was recent) but he also has a thread in general on nepontiac specifically asking for someone local to him with a puller , he is in Wareham.

I think your in the wrong thread lol , I am assuming ( I know shouldn't do that.....) that Alaska buick is in .... drumroll please...... Alaska ?????? but all joking aside if you can help eskimo out it would be great I have been helping him via pm's with a budget conservative mod menu and he has mods in place to pulley down a bit

Sorry for threadjack Alaska