Has anyone heard of this before?

don86T

Coolant pushed from radiator into overflow tank during high boost (25psi) runs. I figured I must have blown a head gasket.

Before I pull the motor I did a compression and leak down test. The compression is between 168 # and 172 # and the leak down was about 18% in all cylinders.

During normal driving there are no coolant problems at all. Is it possible I’m lifting a head and it seals again under normal cylinder pressures? This has happened 2 times now. The first time I thought it overheated. But the second time the coolant temperature was only 175*.

I hate to pull the motor apart and not be able to find the cause.

Thanks for any info,
Don
:confused:

what kind of headgaskets are you running? this is common with steel gaskets

I’m not sure what head gaskets. The heads are 6293 castings and the head bolts are marked SPS. I haven’t had it apart yet so that’s about all I know. It is a 109 block though.

I thought about the possibility of the intake leaking. I think I’ll try pressurizing the intake again once I find some way to block the throttle body (couldn’t hold 15psi with my palm and look in the radiator)

Should I check the torque on the head bolts?

Maybee its a small enough leak thats not effected by normal driving - this problem is almost always a blown head gasket on the exhaust side.