harmonic balancer replacement

ITSNOTAGN

Shadow Master
im replacing the balancer and key on a gn, due to wear, anybody know what has to be done to get the key out of the crank. its looking like the front cover is going to have to come off to do this. what did you guys do?

I've never tried to remove the crank key on a motor while it was in the car. Depending on how tough the key is to get out, you may be able to clamp onto it with a couple of pairs of Vice Grips and wiggle it out, but that's never worked for me. A machine shop will likely have a threaded clamp of some kind that will hold much more firmly.

I've seen some keys removed in the past by tack-welding a bolt to the key, and using a slide-hammer to remove the key. This will usually work, but it will destroy the key and you need to be extremely careful about not putting too much heat into the crank.

g'luck.

Doubt that you can remove the key from the crank without removing the timing cover. We can usually remove them with a pair of side cutters.

Be sure you get the new key from GM.

Sidecutters usually work for me too...

..., although I'm not sure I've ever pulled the key on a 3.8 with the cover on, it works on most everything else. :cool: