Hard Shifting Trans

Tonyrodz

Since day one my 87 has shifted pretty hard. Whatever was done to it was by a previous owner. I picked it up in 95 from a small used car lot, car was owned by the guy's friend but he didn't know what was done either. Car shifts really hard 1st to 2nd, chirping tires, and if you're into it, even a little it'll spin the tires going sideways!! Which I thought was pretty damn cool until I finally dropped the trans pan. On a road trip the trans wasn't going into the next gear unless I let up then stepped back on the gas. Called my mechanic and he said it was probably the spring that popped out, which it was, no biggie, put everything back together and I was looking in the trans pan(aftermarket deep pan)there was pieces of clutch material, some large pieces!! Car still shifts AMAZING and drives great, still! What could be done so it shifts normally? The mechanic says it's bad for the car and the trans to shift that hard, that the trans will eventually self destruct itself!! As evidenced by the pieces in the pan. Thx for any help.

I know of two simple mods that can cause a hard 1-2 shift: block the 1/2 accumulator, leave out the center check ball from the valve body.

There could also be modifications to the TV plunger line up that jacks up the line pressure at low throttle angles. Need to get into the trans and see what was done.

Note that it is common to 'pin' the governor spring to prevent it from popping out. Several threads with pictures here on how to do that.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Check that the line bias valve isn't blocked in the valvebody. And look at the boost valve line up as well as hole sizes in the plate. Stock servo or aftermarket?

Check that the line bias valve isn't blocked in the valvebody. And look at the boost valve line up as well as hole sizes in the plate. Stock servo or aftermarket?
I have no idea what the former owner did. A month ago was the first time I dropped the trans pan since I've owned it. I've had the car since 95 and I haven't even changed the brakes on it yet!