Had a little Mishap with the LS1 brakes today...

UNGN

Can't Re- Member
Basically the front tire came off in traffic and rolled another 1/2 mile while I slid to a stop on the Rotor.

The wheel studs had sheared. I was driving 60 mph on the freeway. I was lightly braking for slowing traffic. The tire maybe wobbled for 10 seconds, I applied the brakes again to see if I really felt a wobble, it growled and I felt the wobble in the brake pedal, so I exited the freeway, applied the brakes to slow down and boom, the driver's side tire came off and I was riding on the rotor.

I first assumed I didn't Torque the lug nuts, but looking at the carnage the caliper was on the ground, which was odd. Odder still was the caliper bolts were missing, not broken.

The Caliper bolts appear to have backed out, and the flopping caliper interaction with the wheel and rotor broke the wheels studs.

Great thing about 12" brakes is the A-arms, brake dust shields and even the intercooler scoop didn't touch the ground, but the brake rotor looks like a stopsign and the caliper and the GTA Rear wheel are pretty trashed. The one good thing about explosive wheel studs was the tire came off so fast it didn't even touch the body.

I could have sworn I put locktite on the caliper bolts, but I couldn't see any evidence of it. All of the caliper brackets at still tight and I know they are locktited on.

That sounds like you had some sort of fatigue going on rather than the caliper bolts causing the problem. I've seen that happen before and the the caliper and wheel got trashed, but the wheel didn't come off.

i didn't use any thread locker when i put the LS1 brakes on my Camaro over 2 years ago... i've checked all of the bolts a few times and none of them have loosened up at all over probably 10,000 miles of driving..

you had something else going on- maybe you never got the bolts tight in the first place? or maybe the threads got tapped a little big and the bolts just wobbled out- it happens..