H-bodies of the SW

fuzzyGN

This discussion was started on someone else's thread so I thought it best if we started our own to continue the discussion.

So the original discussion was about how between AJ and I we have 3 H-bodies for sale or trade or whatever. The first is a 1980 Chevy Monza notch with an Iron Duke 4 banger and and auto trans. Complete and titled. The second is a 1978 Pontiac Sunbird hatch with a 109 block 3,8L Buick and auto trans. Complete and titled. The third is a 1979 Buick Skyhawk hatch with a 3.8L and an auto trans. Complete but don't think there was a title with that one. Can't remember. Great hybrid possibilities and all rust free from Southern New Mexico.

Of course I still have 2 others I am working on currently. My N/A fun is a 77 Vega wagon with a very stout 4.1L stock block engine. It is currently in the disassembly stage so a cage and other safety stuff can be installed. Hopefully make some progress before Christmas but it is lake season :) The second keeper in my stable is a very rare 1973 Vega panel wagon. A true panel wagon never had a back seat but rather a floor that continues to the back of the front seats. In 73 they only produced about 2300 of them. This car will be the over-the-top hybrid with a 4.1 turbo set-up, big brakes, big wheels, BIG stereo, airride, etc. Still in the parts collection phase and honestly probably won't start in on it for a few years. Kids are young and activities are plentiful. I have owned close to 20 H-bodies and the record was 5 at the house at one time. The shortest stay was 4 days for one I parted out and the 77 is the longest. I bought that one in 2000. Fun light cars

Lmao......... were baaaddd people.

dont forget Long Hairs vega, that makes 4 now right?

Most of the paperwork is done on the skyhawk for the title, just need to do the inspection. What I do need for that poor car is tires, cause i think at this point my neighbors are all betting to see if im going to attach a satellite dish to her and drag my couch out front. weehaw!

I also got that complete cosworth engine from vega #2332........... the southwest has been kind to these "Soda Can" 70s bodys.

Take some pics of the wagon Erik. I don't think I've ever seen one without a back seet unless it was taken out.

Oh yea, I forgot about Long Hairs. That is the first one I ever owned as a matter of fact. It is to blame for all the madness!! I used that one as a DD for about 2 years. The 77 was then supposed to be the nice Buick powered daily driver. Didn't last. Now it is a 13 to 1 engined 5200 stalled monstrosity. Not terribly streetable.

Charlie, I will get some pics of the panel wagon. Most people thought it was a panel if the rear windows were filled in with metal inserts. Not true. Actually, my panel was delivered with rear glass! I do have panels from another car that I may use but I may just do a sedan delivery look and metal work the fillers in. The originals were set in with the window rubber just like the glass would be. Interchangeable in aout 1 hour.

how close is your wagon these days Erik? its been awhile since i seen it? almost ready for a little arroyo seco take down?

The new engine for the 77 is done and I was very close to installing it. I then saw the carange at the Phoenix WCN and my thinking changed. Even if my new engine only makes 350hp, it will be low 11 capable. Low elevens in a 109" wheelbase car is a bit scary. I have pushed the engine into the corner and started to collect safety items for the car. I am going to put in a complete cage, aluminum seats, belts, etc. before any new horsepower. Since it will be apart I will also rewire the car. It will be a big job but worth it. Hopefully we all learned from the near fatal crash. I know I did. So, the car currently is the same with the tired N/A 4.1L that has always been in it. It is so tired it won't even rev to 5 grand. I routinely would shift it at 6300 in its prime. The auto trans work perfect though. It is a Long Hair special with T-brake and manual valve body. I have a mild 2500 stall in it right now which isn't enough for the small amount of torque the car makes. After I get done messing with my jet ski (end of summer) I will get going on the 77. I need fewer hobbies.

fewer hobbys is right......... I really need to get kicking in the garage as well...... but I have just been knee deep in the yard....... caliche is no fun at all.

I too have 1973 Vega delivery wagon it used to be drag raced "back in the day" some day i hope to do something with it.

Not much to say. I got it with a stroked 350 (383) in it and a (83/4?)Chrysler rear. 8 point cage. it's in rough shape. interior gutted. missing 1 metal side window panel. i put a glass 1 in for now. I do have a pair of shaved handle doors and a fiberglass 1 piece nose for it with an "old School" snorkel on the hood. Ive been gathering up a GN drive train for it. that's all.

Talked with the neighbor last night and it looks like my 78 Sunbird is coming back into my possesion AGAIN. This will be the 4th time! I "sold" him the car but 1 payment is all I got. So, it is back on the market for sale. Rust free, 109, 4bbl carb and intake, TH-350, etc. More details can be found in the SW section. Let me know if interested.

I did take some pics of my Panel wagon but I am not sure how to post them. If someone could help me out we will get them up. Thanks.

When you do a reply at the bottom you'll see "Upload a file". Click on it and you can load directly to the board Erik.;)

It is really sad but even just 3 years ago you couldn't find one and now they are selling fro scrap prices. I guess everyone is afraid to take on a project? Not sure but I can't bring myself to scrap them when they are so complete.