guy in my office is an idiot

evil_gn

House Of Bling
he says that 80's muscle cars wont be collectable like the 60's and 70's muscle cars are now.

i guess car collecting is just a fad and will pass....:rolleyes:

IMO most of the 80s cars wont be collectables. Not too many people will be searching 20 years from now for a big bad iroc with a 305 under the hood. The turbo buicks are one of the few exceptions.

Show him a copy of a Collector Car Price Guide that has both the GN's and GNX's pricing listed. That would show him for sure.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
IMO most of the 80s cars wont be collectables. Not too many people will be searching 20 years from now for a big bad iroc with a 305 under the hood. The turbo buicks are one of the few exceptions.

and i agree

350 IROC, hurst olds, turbo regal, SS aero, and maybe a few others.

but for the most part, the rest will jsut be used cars.

Unless that IROC or TA has the 1LE option. One of the instances where a rare option might add some value to the car.

I knew a guy that had an '80s RS camaro with a factory 350, and I'm pretty sure it had the 1le option too. Odd birds like that might bring some money, but we're still talking 235-245 hp from the 350.

I knew a guy that had an '80s RS camaro with a factory 350, and I'm pretty sure it had the 1le option too. Odd birds like that might bring some money, but we're still talking 235-245 hp from the 350.

Lets see... if I remember right, the 1LE package only came with radio and A/C delete... you couldn't order the 1LE... it had to have certain options and then it got the race package... baffled tank, alum. driveshaft, bigger brakes... wasn't that it?

The highest HP 350 in the 3rd gens was the 1990 IROC-Z with a 5.7cTPI, The last year they made the iroc and it was rated at 240HP and 385 ft lbs...

I had one that was mint mint never wrecked, never seen rain with 47k on it. A/C, leather, power, 5.7, OD... man, I miss that car.

Something is only worth as much as someone will pay for it... That's it. Sooner or later my car would have been worth some bucks to some body...

Some body probably loves a pinto somewhere...:D

GN's will go nowhere but up from here.

someone paid 1.5 mil for howard hughes 54 buick....who woulda thought that would be worth anything

That is known as a B4C which is the special service package (Law Enforcement) yes those are hot cars to have but most have been beaten hard. They come with 1LE brakes, suspension, and 1le engine options (305 5 speed and 350 auto) but they still have AC and RS level appearance trim.

Unfortunately I think thirdgens will go the way of the second gen for the most part. Some notables being collectable but most just ending up in the junkyard. Pity, they are fantastic platforms.

Originally posted by evil_gn
he says that 80's muscle cars wont be collectable like the 60's and 70's muscle cars are now.
i guess car collecting is just a fad and will pass....:rolleyes:

He's probably thinking about the exotics. While they still draw some heavy bidding, the time has passed for rapid appreciation (dollar wise).

In the 80s there just wasn't much in the way of Muscle cars. The TRs, and 3rd Gen FBodies, will always be appreciated, by some.

A pristine version of any car, is usually, collectible to someone.

For the guys old enough to remeber..... didn't the 60's Mustangs take a dive in the late 70's-80's and noone cared for awhile? I was just a little kid but I seemed to remember them just being another old car and then in the late 80's they became special again and demand/prices rose.

It is all just speculative anyway. Evrything that we see as junk or not collectable now we will be looking at in confusion as our kids are talking about how cool it is and how bad they want one.

My dad used to talk of how common 57 Chevy's were on used car lots in the early 60's and most people he knew didn't really seem to want them very badly. Of course one of his favorite cars he owned was a 59 Skyliner retractable, cheap wheels then, not anymore.

there's lots of good performance vehicles domestic and import from the 80's. just from the g bodies you have the hurst/olds, turbo buicks, monte ss and aerocoupe.

84-85 mustang gt's and the later mass air cars. svo mustang and turbo coupe thunderbirds. crown vic police cars had a 2 barrel and 351's.

mopar had the various turbo shelby cars

chevy had the 350's in the camaro and the corvette started getting some balls back to it.

nissan had the 280zx and first gen 300zx turbos, 2 generations of mazda rx7's(GSL-SE model in the first gen and turbos in the 2nd), toyata supra turbo.

bmw had some decent m cars and a lots of different 3 series models(325is, 325ix)

almost all the cars can be had for reasonable prices still and most have decent aftermarkets or can be hopped up using normal hop up techniques. the 80s was great. the automotive industry finally came out of the emission dark ages and finally saw the advent of electronic fuel injection in almost all vehicles to help with performance, emmissions and driveability.

the suv craze killed most sports and muscle cars in the 90's but right now we are in another sports car and horsepower era with the import and domestic factories turning out cars with crazy amounts of horsepower and features.

I can't wait to vomit when these ricer cars bring in big bucks and I read about the demand for "old" rice. ;)

Originally posted by Rage
I would love to build a Pinto with a 2.3T as a driver

I had several Weber'd ones. One that I redid the head into be as close as you could get to being a *Hemi*. They sure were fun little cars, for their time. It was amazing how heavy and robust the engines were (at least 2.0Ls).

You're right, I also think a 2.3L T would be fun.

I used to know dude that had a Pinto with a 429 and a C6 in it. you could sit in the driver's seat and touch the back of the motor............:eek:

Unfortunately I think thirdgens will go the way of the second gen for the most part. Some notables being collectable but most just ending up in the junkyard. Pity, they are fantastic platforms.

Probably true.

FWIW... my 89 hardtop Formula with the 230hp TPI 305 / 5-speed combo is probably one of the most fun vehicles I've ever owned. If I ever get around to upgrading the drivetrain, it'll be a nice sleeper (even though it's got enough stock to take care of most "imports" looking for an easy POS 3rd Gen F-body kill).