Guru's give us opinions on the DeathBox 2

• Thread starter AsphaltAnihil8r
  • Start date
A

AsphaltAnihil8r

http://www.decware.com/dbk10.htm
There is also a Forum for this box.
1--Will AudioBahn Alum 10"subs work that are desiged for a Sealed (.65-.75cu ft)enclosure work in the DB2

2--Can this box be made for 2 10"subs or would you just make 2boxes and conect them?

3--Does anyone have plans for this box(cheap A$$==ME)

So what do you think
Dennis

it looks to be built very sturdy, I like how they used 2 pieces of MDF for the baffle. The concept of it also looks pretty good, a "generic" band-pass that can be tuned for most subwoofers.

BUT, the only way to tell if you would like it would be to hear it....not something that will probably ever happen....so you would be taking a big gamble on whether or not you would enjoy it.

If it doesn't cost much then go for it if you like, but you can build normal 4th order bandpasses that would work just as well. (i believe someone posted here a link to a site that will do the calculations for u).

One thing I don't like is how they tell you to tune it....just move the baffle around until it sounds good to you....not exactly a precise way to get the correct volumes.....nor is having a baffle loosly sat in there going to give you a constant volume when its being played, it will be vibrating.....

I built the Wicked One form that same site. AWESOME BASS!!!! I built it with 2 10's and use it for a home subwoffer. It literaly shakes the house using only a 75 watt per channel amp. Very very deep solid bass. I plan on getting a plexiglass top because with all the angles it looks pretty cool. And then flex-stone paint the inside.

As far as the deathbox it is as you said a somewhat tuneable 4th order bandpass. You are better off contacting the manufacturer of the woofers you are using and get exact box dimmensions from them. Thats why I like Orion. They are always designing new boxes for their woofers.

There are two power handeling concerns when building a box. Thermal power handeling which is how much juice the voice coil can handle safely. This is usually the wattage number printed on the woofer. The other is displacement power handeling which means how much power the woofer can handle before it tears itself apart (ie spider seperates from cone, etc.). This is not printed on the woofer and is usually the cause of woofer failure. This is very enclouse dependant. 4th order bandpass boxes have very high displacement power handeling. Vented boxes tend to have very low displacement power handeling.

Band-pass boxes are easy to build, call up AudioBahn and ask them to a design on a band-pass for that woofer. They will give you the internal and external volume and port length and size. But band-pass boxes are "known" to be loud but depends on the music you are listening to and the highest spl you will get will be where you are tunning the port to. You can go dual woofers set up all you got to do is double up the air volume but "remember" band-pass boxes are usually big!