GTO vs. Vette

I eat Z06

If you read my SRT thread, you would know that I was having fun with salesmen on a particular day. This time it was with a new black GTO 6 speed. I pull out and drive the car very nicly, hop on it a few times to get a feel. It is a very nice car. Then I pull up behind a C4 Vette. We are both in the right hand turn lane. As soon as the light turns green we go, and he steps on it just as he is exiting the turn, I follow. Except I continue into the left lane and continue to have it punched and I outrun this Vette by 3 car lengths. Then I pull into the Ponti dealer. The Salesman was very comfortable and said "this is why they made this car.". I had two other people in the GTO and the Vette had one person and definate exhaust work.

Nick

I had mixed emotions about the car before driving it, but I liked it. Kind of thought of it as the current f-body. But after driving it, I think that it is a great car. It is fun, has a punch, and gets alot of looks. The inside is MUCH nicer than every other pontiac. The leather is somthing you would expect in a BMW, not a GTO. But it does have a very small trunk, and next year it will look more aggressive according to the salesman.

Nick

That's what the concensus seems to be, good drivetrain without the crappy plasticky squeaky fbody interior. I wouldn't mind driving one.:)

Last Wednesday night I went to the dragstrip in my lightly modified GN. It was a very hot and humid day so all cars were running slower than normal. My best was a 14.23...Anyway my final run of the night i line up againt a new GTO. Well, he ran a 15.10 to my 14.23. After the race i talked to the guy about his car. It was a six speed and he said he had put an $800 dollar exhaust on it and every available mod their is. Now, i am assuming that a Mustang GT is in the same price range as the new GTO. If it were me i would far rather get the Mustang GT and run 14.2-14.5 all night rather that 15.1's.

I gotta find the timeslip of when I ran a GTO with my STi. The guy had a low 14/ high 13 with a bad launch.

Nick

Originally posted by WR450rider
Last Wednesday night I went to the dragstrip in my lightly modified GN. It was a very hot and humid day so all cars were running slower than normal. My best was a 14.23...Anyway my final run of the night i line up againt a new GTO. Well, he ran a 15.10 to my 14.23. After the race i talked to the guy about his car. It was a six speed and he said he had put an $800 dollar exhaust on it and every available mod their is. Now, i am assuming that a Mustang GT is in the same price range as the new GTO. If it were me i would far rather get the Mustang GT and run 14.2-14.5 all night rather that 15.1's.

something definatly wrong with the car or driver, they are mid 13s in the 6 speed and mid to high 13s with an auto. There was a clueless guy with an auto goat a few months ago at the track and with no traction he pulled a 13.8 at 103. Interestingly enough i watched him run 14.4 at 98 a few runs after that:confused:

I made 3 passes at the drag strip driving an automatic GTO. The car was brand new less than 100 miles (not broken in) on a very hot and humid day with a passenger, the car ran consistent 14.5 on every pass. What impressed me was that the car launched great (can’t remember the 60” times). Raced a Cadillac CTS-V on all 3 passes the CTS-V won every time. I made one pass the same day driving the CTS-V and it ran 14.0 and it was also brands new with less than 500 miles. I launched the CTS-V of idle then punched it.

My opinion: both cars are great!

:cool:

I finally saw two GTO's run at the track last Wednesday night. I was anticipating some decent times. Both ran mid to high 18 sec runs. :confused: :confused:
The only cars I saw run slower were a couple of Hurse's which had to weigh at least 6000 pounds.

8 G-notes for an exhaust?

where do you get brand new cars that aren't broken in yet to beat the hell out of? What happens to the next "owner" who gets it, does he have troubles because it wasn't properly brokn in yet?

I'm just curious.....

WTF?????? Why are all your GTO's runnin that skiw of times? Sorry, but arounf here they are contendors.

Nick

Don't know but around here they run high 13's stick shift to mid 14's automatic and depending upon the driver.

The quickest I have seen here is 13.86.

I don't know why they are so slow. They both had temp tags on them so they were brand new. They were probably newbies at the track since they both rolled through the water box and did a lame burn-out. They both sounded like automatics and they were pitiful. Of course up here, everything runs slow. Thre is a guy with a bright yellow Viper that runs consistant mid 14's.

Silly Who the fukc was driving?? I took a black 6-speed out 2 months ago and ran 13. 65 13.62 13.78

bone stock car with just over 150 miles. Not sure if these things have power diffrences like the ls1 birds I hear of 20 hp diffrences in the same year cars stock??

If you buy one I will come beat on it for you and show you how to get some good times. don't be afraid of the pedal on the right !!! It's under warrenty:D

Originally posted by gn4u2c
Not sure if these things have power diffrences like the ls1 birds I hear of 20 hp diffrences in the same year cars stock??
We fbody owners have a saying: "Was your car built on a Monday or a Friday?"
My g/f has an '01 Z28, fully loaded. I have an '02 "stripper" model Z28-no power accessories, supposed to save a little weight. Both are autos with 2.73 gears. Bone stock I ran 13.52@104, with an airbox lid 13.38@105. She has gone 13.36@105 and she is still completely stock. :eek: So yes, LS1's are kinda like snowflakes, they can all be a little different. I believe the term for her car would be "factory freak."

That is true for most vehicles. STi's range from 13.5-12.8 stock, but the driver also has a major factor in the difference. But a 4-5 second difference says somthing is majorly wrong with the track/driver/car. Unless there is the altitude factor.

Nick

OMG!!! those people need to learn how to drive!!! the auto. GTO's shouldn't run any slower than 14.5. thats with bad traction and poor weather. i drove a GTO and it was an automatic. that car RAN!!! wish the T/A was paid off i would've bought it. it was black with the red leather interior. NICE!!!!

I had an occasion to run one of those stones. I thought it was a grand am. Just about as fast. I realized it was a GTO when we stopped at the next light before entering the freeway. To be fair, it did have a window sticker. On the freeway, I pulled away at speed with no problem. If one of these beat a C5, the C5 must not have been racing. Now I did see a Goat at the track run a 12.43 with nitrous.
:eek: