Grooved axle won't seal

TurboTnZ06

Go on red!
I have one moser 28 spline axle that is grooved where the seal has dug into it, probably from metal shrapnel from when the old auburn bit the dust and I drove on it unknowingly. Is there a way to use a different seal/repair or do I have to buy a new moser axle?

I have one moser 28 spline axle that is grooved where the seal has dug into it, probably from metal shrapnel from when the old auburn bit the dust and I drove on it unknowingly. Is there a way to use a different seal/repair or do I have to buy a new moser axle?

You might be able to get an "Axle saver" kit. I believe it has a sleeve that goes over the axle and a larger ID seal.

Thanks! I googled this saver kit, sounds like it moves the bearing and seal over. I just bought a new 28 spline eaton, I should have got 30 and new axles since I have to buy it all anyways. I'm just going to set the car on fire, it will be cheaper. Sounds like the right way is to get another axle.

Check out your local O'Reilly Auto, Zone, etc. The National/BCA part number you need is RP5707. It is a combo bearing and seal that will move the bearing and seal away from the bad area on the axle. Figure $20-30 for the whole deal. Thanks, Rudy.

If you can find a seal that doesnt have a flange on the outer side you could install it alittle deeper so it rides in a new spot.

Got a price on the axle saver and it was $50, so I'm 2nd day air another set of moser 28 spline axles instead.