Great last day-2001 season

Turbocars

I posted this at GNTTYPE but I thought some of you alky folks would be interested also.

The forecast for today was high 40s and sunny and what a great turbo day it was!
I wanted one more time out this year with the Ltd . since I made some little changes
but the main one was dropping a couple degrees of timing. Down to a 22* from the
24* I have been using for quite some time.

The passes:
11.81 @ 117.83, 1.74 sixty – 24# boost, 8# launch.
11.58 @ 118.07, 1.67 sixty – 24# boost, 5# launch.
11.54 @ 119.34, 1.70 sixty – 26# boost, 10# launch. (first new best of the day)
11.42 @ 118.99, 1.64 sixty – 26# boost, 8# launch. (second new best et of the day)

An 11.3x was there but I just couldn’t get the bite I usually do but knowing it
is there is second best to seeing it on a time slip. In short, I was ECSTATIC!!

The 27” Hoosiers work great. The ‘ole TA49 is tough to beat with the stock D5
converter! And of course this is with pump gas , the SMC alcohol kit, and through
a closed and quiet exhaust.

Hank

(one of those NE Ohio boyz drag racing in December)

Great times Turbocars! Pushing over 26# of boost!? I'm really new to the high boost (Using Alky) But I had heard that anything over something like 25# was pointless, the pressure would leak at the head gasket (unless you had o-ringed the block), but by your times, I guess not! I still don't know how you all do the boost launches, I can sit there forever trying to build boost off the line, but the best I've ever got was a whopping 1PSI!

two things roc 87,
You answered your own question in your sig. You need a stall converter. Some people were able to get the d5 to work with the 51 and others couldn't.

25 lbs is not the limit for high boost. I have a buddy that has a stock bottom end 40k car. He runs 30+ lbs whenever he is at the track and has yet to blow a headgasket. Another guy I know is running 40+ lbs and has only blown one headgasket, and that was due to not turning on the 7th injector. Its knock that takes out headgaskets on these cars. If you are running high boost you tune for ZERO knock. Even less than one degree of knock can blow a gasket at high boost

Turbos run out of efficency at certain boost levels, but that depends on the turbo. The stocker is done at 21-22lbs.

30#s on a 40K block? WOW! I don't think I'll try that with my 132K! What kind of chip/timing was your friend running? I guess you just have to watch the DS REAL close!

He's running a RA 106 chip on C116. I said he did it, I didn't say he was smart. Once I get mine dialed in, I'll make a bonzai run with c116 and 30 psi and try to tickle the 10s. Never said I was smart either ;)

You are correct ROC87, I am getting past the true efficiency of the TA49 at 26# but it did seem to work.

I am not familiar enough with the PT51 to recommend a converter but I do know that a GOOD D5 will work up through a TE60 which is what I run on my GN. I did change out the D5 for a Precision LU but the D5 worked well before the change.

Tune tune tune and make little changes and monitor their effect. Like I have told so many others that big is not always better for our turbo cars. Combination is everything!

Hank

Turbocars - Great times with the Limited. I have always liked the TA 49 and you've run some outstanding times with it. The Ohio cars always seem to go FAST with such mild combos. Doesn't surprise me :)

There was a guy in Akron by the name of Mannie Ecker.. He did some work on a friend of mines GN in April of 1996... Anyways, I had a couple runs of Mannies WE4 as well as some runs of a guy named Mark Bagwell [worked at Summit Racing-he hooked my buddy up with Mannie] GN on a videotape... Mannie was running a bunch of low 11s with [what I was told] a TA 49, 17 row Jackson I/C, 009s TH DP, & other other mild mods.. I was told he evetually got into the high 10s with his TA 49 with the addition of ported irons and a 200 200 club cam..

Do you know Mannie? Just wondering what all's done to his WE4 and what his car is running now? His was a sweet car.

Congrats on the new best times! Kickin butt :)

Schlodes,

I do know Mannie. He has gone through a divorce which slowed down his Buick racing endeavors.

The 49 is a great Turbo to this day. I was very close to a 10 second pass when I had it on the GN. But for a combination street/strip turbo, it is very good as is the TE44.

Hank

Great runs Hank. Looks like I need to turn up my boost from 24# and get better than 1.8 60' times and see what happens. My combo and best run is in sig.

Wow Hank, great mph. What tire are you running (size - height)?

Thanks,

Mike

Damn. Those are some good times. I gotta get my alchy kit going. It's definitely encouraging to hear stories like that.

Look Quick:

You definitely have the 'goodies' to get down in the mid 11s or better! Like I said, try little changes, one at a time, and se how the car responds. You'll get there.

VIN7:

I run Hoosier Quick Time Pros 27 x 10. I trid them on my GN a couple weeks ago and sixtied a 1.54 and several mid 1.5s. With the Ltd I have done a best of 1.60. The Ltd has old Monroe shocks, front SB, and for the back of the car I use a single air bg, snubber, and my lower CA are boxed. Thats it. Oh and good working PowerMasters to hold as much boost as desired to launch the cars! No trans brakes or other gizmos.

Hank

Hank,

With the 27" tire are you locking the convertor and crossing the traps in 3rd (in the LTD)? What's your rpms through the traps?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

I lock the converter at the line, every pass. I leave it in thired and pass throught the traps around 5200. I have modified the governor to allow the trrans to shift at 5500 which seems about right with the stock cam.

Hank