Got my first 87 GN..And have some Questions.

rx4mike

I recently purchased my first 87 GN. It has a few problems that are being worked on currently...By a specailist in my area PRACINGREV1140. Had to give the man his props! I will start the list that I know of.

1. Very leaky Tranny (Was told from previous owner it was the front pump seal...it leaks outta the front dead center)
2. Doesn't idle real smooth real long. But gets better once warmed up.
3. Needs an exuast, original one still on there but looks like swiss cheese. Got any suggestions on a cat back that will pass Maryland Inspection ( Alot more easier than PA, NJ, and VA)
4. We will start with that and see how things go from there.

Any help you guys and gals can offer will be MUCH appreciated.....

Thanks Rx4Mike

Mike,
Congratulations on your new GN.

When I got my 86Ttype almost 3 years ago, it was bone stock.

Luckily, I had a couple guys in town that owned Regals and they knew how to help me out.

Some of the first things I did:

- Get a boost gauge! (scantool if you can afford one) You need to know if you are over/under-boosting.
- Cat back 2.5" Hooker exhaust (a great buy)
- Change your plugs/wires maybe the coilpack too.
- Eliminate the rebreather tube feeding back into your turbo inlet bell.
- Eliminate the lines that run engine coolant to your throttle body.
- Most likely you'll want to replace your stock (weak) timing chain
- Take your intercooler out and clean the oil out.. inspect turbo inlet for oil

This should get you started..
There is also a great resource of informationat www.gnttype.org

I've learned a lot there.

Tim

You'll want to get the Hooker Cat Back exhaust system. It is about $285 from Summit or Jegs and comes in 2.5" pre mandrel bent tubing and mufflers, etc. Get a Random Technology cat converter... it flows like there isn't one even there.

Welcome to the club.

HTH,

If the car is still stock, with a real cat and stock exhaust, it likely still has the stock fuel pump. This is the very first thing you should change. A new cat back exhaust and a test pipe and you are already over the horsepower limit of the 15 year old stock pump, with no other mods.

Hook up with someone sith a scan tool like turbo link and see what the current state of tune your car is in. A stock buick where everything is working right is always faster than one with a lot of mods that isn't.

Yes.. I forgot to mention that you will need a new fuel pump.
That was one of the first things I did as well...

While you are at it, get a voltage booster kit to run to that new pump.

TAKE YOUR TIME !!!

Don't try to do 8 things at once, take it one step at a time and do your homework! These guys on this board are good resources, you're doing the right thing by asking questions. - BB:)

Congrats on the new purchase.

If you want a inexpensive cat back, go with the hooker. If you want one that will last, get something like ATR makes. It's more money, but it'll last as long as the car does.

As mentioned above, the should be your next immediate purchases:
- boost gauge.
- new fuel pump.
- scan tool (Scanmaster is a good start).

If you're ever going to be in the Wilmington, DE area shoot me an email. I have DirectScan and a spare ECM set up for it.

Good luck,
-Banning.