Got mail? I did!

yeah, its a mechanics certification. ever walked in to a dealer or garage and seen a plaque on the wall that says ASE certified technicians or mechanics with ASE badges?

CONGRATULATIONS!

That's something to be proud of!!

It shows your commitment to professional standards and demonstrates your knowledge base.

Some states require an ASE mechanic to be on staff to even open & operate an auto repair shop. All should.

Again, be rightly proud!

That's something to be proud of!!

i spend half a day at a technical high school and so far ive been the first one in 40 years (give or take a few years) thats ever been ASE certified. ive also won 2nd place in the state fair job skill demenstration and got a scolarship from that. ontop of that UTI is offering 5000 off of there touition but i think im still going to go to nashville auto diesel, dont know why but ive got a gut feeling about it.

im also starting a program called AYES, its a "co-op" program where we get 3000 in snapon tools and work at ANY dealership that we choose in the valley for 3 days a week instead of going to my afternoon automotive class. the other 2 days we spend at our technical school. most guys that are intrested in the program are going for ford, chevy, toyota, and honda for obvious reasions. infact i wanted to go to the local buick dealer BUT i had a second thaught, in 10 years how much would i be makeing? and how much could i be makeing? thats when i decided to ask for the local mercedes dealer i figure that if i can get my foot in the door now i wont have to wait until im a 20 year veterian to make the big bucks.;)

for some reasion im the only one in any of our classes that took advantage of the dual enrolment so im also getting collage credits for this class. were also going to have a rep from gm taling about there asep and bsep (i think) courses. i wont know much about it until noon tommarow but by what ive picked up i can spend some of that AYES time attending a community college and come out of high school with an associties (sp) degree in auto service. i will take advantage of what evers commen down the road but its not going to stop me from my certifications or going to a second college, i dont think you can be overqualified in a job field like this.

with in 15 years i want to open up my own garage, ive even had several discussions with my future father in-law about going in as partners, hes always had dreams of opening up a towing bussiness and i feel like this would be the perfect opertunity for both of our dreams to come true.

Way to go!

I bet you can't come over and change my brakes for me in under 8 hours! ;)

Heh, 3K in Snap on wont go far :-P My toolbox alone was almost 10k.....its plain SICK what tools cost these days! 3k will buy you a metric socket set from 6 to 27 and american socket set from 1/4 to 1", a 3/8 ratchet, a 1/2" ratchet, combo wrences from 5/16 to 1 1/4 and metric from 6 to 30, a screwdriver set, a few pairs of pliers and a smalll toolbox. Maybe an air gun and air ratchet. I dont think you'll get much more than that!

TurboMike I believe is a ASE Cert world class tech, while I am merely a Auto Master plus L1. Up for recert in July, provided I pass them all again, will be working on the truck stuff next. I previously had no need, but now I am working on some larger trucks and figger it cant hurt.

While cerftification is great, dont put too much weight on them. I say this because I have seen some real dimwit masters. Theres nothing better or more important than OTJ. And 1/2 the problem is when you actually work on these things, the tests become more difficult because the way you may do things, isnt really textbook after awhile and makes ansering textboox type questions tough. (Personal experience)

Good luck with your education. A good tech is hard to find and if you are good at it, you can go pretty far with the right shop.

Originally posted by equalizer442
yeah, its a mechanics certification. ever walked in to a dealer or garage and seen a plaque on the wall that says ASE certified technicians or mechanics with ASE badges?

*grin* yea. I've been a ASE Master Tech since around '89, Master HD/light truck since '98, L1 Advanced Engine performance since '95 and GM Master since '98 (my GM has expired though due to no remote schools)

I think it's great that you have a desire to get certified and get all the "paperwork". A great tech with have both the "book knowledge" and "work experence". Sounds your going down the right road. If I can be of help, just let me know.