Got burned on ebay by "acura134"

Dean

Dylan White of Addis, LA, d.b.a. "acura134" on ebay. Anyone know this guy? Supposedly has an 84/5 GN.

Screwed me on a part and I want my $$ back: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2458710887 "This is an original dash bezel that is in perfect consition it has all of the original emblems. It has no scratches, cracks, or chips." Unfortunately it is not "perfect", and his pic did not show the imperfections. I emailed him. His response (Email excerpts):

- "From the look of the pictures I can understand how you would be upset. The only thing I do not understand is how it got in that condition, because I know that it was not in that condition previously."
- "My main concern is that both of us are happy with the ending of this deal. I went back today and looked a another dash bezel my friend has in his car that I had compared the one I sent you to. I have no doubt that something must have happended to this one during shipping somehow." So I explained how the condition probably got the way it is (my email to him, excerpts):

1) Scuffing on all the plaques - As I noted before, this type of scuffing is caused by rubbing the dust off the bezel with a dry cloth. This is a typical issue with most bezels, and it is clearly evident at the perimeter of all the plaques; you can see the sweeping path the wiping motions took. It is particularly tell-tale around the collar that surrounds the steering column. This is certainly not shipping damage.

2) The silver outline - It is burnished from cleaning (rubbing, again) and has no shine, and in the lower portion it is nearly rubbed through to the base material. This is certainly not shipping damage.

3) Gouges - For this to happen there would have to be punctures in the box, and there are none. I believe these were tool induced and perhaps not noticed before you shipped.

His response (excerpts): "I was wondering if you could claim it on the insurance or if there is a way we can resolve this without out costing anyone more shipping cost. I would prefere to do something like this to keep from costing either of us money." I refused to try to scam the USPS on his behalf, and sent this (excerpts):

"In Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, the first definition of "perfect" is, "having all the properties naturally belonging to it; complete; sound; flawless." Further down it states, "perfect further implies the soundness, the proportionateness, an excellence of every part, every element, and every quality." Perfect is what I was expecting. Unfortunately for me, you have the $$, so you have the upper hand. I'm just sitting here with this bezel that I have no use for due to the condition."

His response: "The product I was selling was perfect in my opinion because I have never seen an original 19 year old bezel in any better condition."
"You could have emailed me for more detailed pictures, you could view the pictures, you could have sent me pictures of yours and asked if mine was in better condition, etc. Either way, you bid, you won, and you pay."

Like the way he defines "perfect"?

Anyhoot, lots more transpired. I know I'm probably screwed, and I'll be a lot more suspicious of anything used being sold REGARDLESS of the description, but I was hoping someone here knew him and could try to convince him otherwise. PayPal is no help as it has been 32 days, not 30.

Separately, I'm still tying to word my "negative" feedback for this. Can I refer to a web page to tell the whole story?

".. I'm still tying to word my "negative" feedback for this. Can I refer to a web page to tell the whole story? ..."

I would just leave feedback along the lines,
"seller mis-represented condition of the item, it was not as advertised, seller is now un-cooperative".

he'll deny it , blah-blah, but his negative rating remains. I don't know how much this helps, any half-wit seller will simply re-register under a new name after a few negatives ("acura135" ?).

if you paid your Paypal transaction via credit card, as opposed to cash withdrawn out of your bank, then you may have more remedies & recourse than Paypal can now give you. Check w/ your credit card compnay, if that's the case.

Theres not a REAL lot you can do.

I bought a "new still gm sticker on" turbo shield that was welded lots of scratches, etc on ebay but just blew it off and fixed it.

In your case, you might try and contact e-bay and I hope you payed with paypal. Tell him you just want a complete refund.
Let us know what he says.

What did you pay for the part?

Consider it a cheap lesson in the ways of the world.

The worst thing you can do is lose sleep over it - it ain't worth it - move on...

:rolleyes:

I bought a car on ebay. All I wanted was a Gen 1 camaro with solid floors. All pics showed the floor in great shape so I bid to win. I got it cheap and if the car was half as good as the representation I still would've had a steal. Long story short, about 20% of the floorpan was MISSING. He must've thought that after a 13 hour drive I would have no choice but to take the thing home. By the time we were done arguing I had no car, he admitted to doctoring the pics, I had my money plus fuel to get home.
There are some people out there that are going to rip you off. Ebay seems to have more than its fair share too. I wish you luck and sure hope you get your money back.

tom h, cash transfer, unfortunately.

77tech9, I am putting together my data to send to ebay, and PP is no help since it is over 30 days. I was unable to find a way of contacting PP direct.

v6turbojunkie, I have already considered the $$ gone.

strikeeagle, ~$48, so it's not like it breaks the bank. It is more the principal of it. Just pi$$es me off since it is nothing I could ever do. Lots of folks in our society seem to be missing some key character traits that would make them a worthwhile person, like integrity, and honesty. No sleep being lost, as my final email to this "tick on the a$$ of life" provide some closure for me:

Subject: Re: refund
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:36:47 -0800

So, I guess this is about it. Just wanted to say thanks for being the first person to intentionally burn me on ebay.

I am disappointed in you. This is a poor reflection of your character. You admit to the condition not being perfect ("From the look of the pictures I can understand how you would be upset"), and admit knowing so ("...perfect in my opinion because I have never seen an original 19 year old bezel in any better condition"), yet deny a refund with cop out excuses making it my fault for not questioning your representation of a perfect item.

You misrepresented it and you know it. I can only hope in the future you are treated as badly as I am being treated. "I do not try to make something sound better than it really is because I have been screwed over before and do not do that to any one". Do you remember this quote that you wrote to me? Can you see the contradiction of what you said versus what you did, and are doing? If not, I may pity you more than I am angered at you. (I'm glad I saved all of these e-mails... these will come in handy.)

Hopefully others will heed my warnings and diminish competition on all of your future bid items, and that it will cost you far more than it would have to simply refund my money. I'll bet it will... I know I avoid anyone with negative feedback.

Dylan White of Addis, LA, may our paths cross again in another business transaction some day in the future... only next time with me having the upper hand.

SINCERELY,

Dean

ps: With the lack of respect you have demonstrated, it is my opinion that you should refrain from closing your correspondence with "Respectfully yours"... of course, you probably see nothing wrong with that either.

Dean