Got a few problems with my 84 and need some help here

Camfreek

Thanks Rob!!!
Ok I pulled out my 84 GN today. It fired right up but it idles like the cam has to much lift. The problems I have is the idle is rough and surges up and down. Also I have two huge problems. The turbo is over boosting big time I took it down the road like 500 feet and I saw the boost build and shoot well passed the 30 mark on my guage. Also the trand seems to not hold the 1-2 shift it use to shift real hard and snap the rear tires and now it seems to slip.

I have checked the compression and it has new plugs and wires and all the vacuum lines are in the right place and not cracked or anything. I really need to get this boost thing under control. I did adjust the rod for the waste gate and made it shorter but it did not make one differance at all.

Any help guys??? Thanks

Well, for one thing shortening the rod raises the boost. Sounds like you have a few vacuumn leaks at least. I would double check the lines again. Any one of them can cause those issues. take off the wastegate rod and make sure the arm swings freely. If it does I am 99% sure you have a broken vacuumn line somewhere.

I see

I thought making the rod shorter made less boost. I do know the rod does move freely and I had put some air presure to it and it does move the waste gate. I will try to adjust the rod out more and see where it goes from there. Thanks

I had what sounds to be the same problem....here is what I found and fixed, not sure what caused the problem but it runs great now.

New Vacum line to the EGR, new line to EGR control solenoid. New EGR control solenoid and boost control solenoid. (had both on the shelf and changed because I was in there anyways). I'm pretty sure this is where my problem was.

Clean and Tighten IAC...this was loose and was moving around.

Re-routed plug wires.

New Hot wire Kit.

Checked wastgate and mde sure it was free and doing it's job.

As I said, this took me most of a morning and when I fired it up it ran great and hasn't given me a problem since.

still nothing

Ok the puck moves freely and all the vacuum lines are in place and good. I adjusted the rod longer and the car still builds up way to much boost and it is a huge problem seeing that it builds up 30+ pounds of boost at pretty much idle. I know the car idles like crap and I have no idea what to look at:confused:

boost problem

There is no way your car could be building 30psi @ idle or near idle. Furthermore if your building 30psi of boost I'm pretty sure your head gaskets would be toast. We need some real info to help you.

Info

Ok well maybe I typed that wrong. It will boost up to a good 15 psi at around 1900 rpm and as soon as it its 16 psi it flys off the the boost gauge and you can here it spool up the car will fall flat on its face and the knock gauge will got to full knock. I think I have blown the passenger side head gasket due to this but that is not the problem. Oh and the best part is this will happen before the car hits first gear. I think there is another problem with something else and god only knows. I know the car never idles right and when I took it out this year it seem to get real hot real fast. It was unbarable under the hood of it. Oh I did change the turbo out from my other car and it does the same thing, but my other car runs normal:confused:

help

I have a 1984 -you must have a bad gage no way you can have that much psi call me 214-876-1110 Anthony -take the rod off and see how much you have -leave it open

Ok well maybe I typed that wrong. It will boost up to a good 15 psi at around 1900 rpm and as soon as it its 16 psi it flys off the the boost gauge and you can here it spool up the car will fall flat on its face and the knock gauge will got to full knock. I think I have blown the passenger side head gasket due to this but that is not the problem. Oh and the best part is this will happen before the car hits first gear. I think there is another problem with something else and god only knows. I know the car never idles right and when I took it out this year it seem to get real hot real fast. It was unbarable under the hood of it. Oh I did change the turbo out from my other car and it does the same thing, but my other car runs normal:confused:

Let me guess;
You are reading the boost of the dash lights?

No

I am dumb but not that dumb. I have taken the lightbulbs out of the dash lights when I first got the car. I have a knock guage and a boost gauge that are on the pillar that I had bought from Caspers. The boost gauge is hooked into my map sensor. The guage could be broke for all I know but it worked fine when I had parked the car. I am dumbfounded by it. Oh well I will just cruise my T Type for now and figure it out later. Thanks guys

Electric reference boost gauage?

You need to get a manual boost guage and install it into the intake manifold through the test port. Someone here should be able to guide you to where that is located on the "Stock intake."

The factory dash guage is cr@p... :eek:

You should be knocking terribly at 18lbs boost if it isn't tuned well. (Hot-air)

I am dumb but not that dumb. I have taken the lightbulbs out of the dash lights when I first got the car. I have a knock guage and a boost gauge that are on the pillar that I had bought from Caspers. The boost gauge is hooked into my map sensor. The guage could be broke for all I know but it worked fine when I had parked the car. I am dumbfounded by it. Oh well I will just cruise my T Type for now and figure it out later. Thanks guys

Ok, that was a dumb question. :(
What you are describing makes no sense at all.
The stock converter was around 2000 rrm, so even at that rom, you should only see 0/0 boost.
The fact that you see 15 psi boost at 1900 rpm is astonishing. :confused:

I have seen it on distributor equipped cars with way retarded timing that can cause boost at off idle conditions. The car will run and drive like crap. I am not sure how your Buick can do that. Possible the plug wires are on wrong causing issues, but I wouldn't think it would even want to run. I assume the boost gauge is mechanical? If electrical I would replace it with a mechanical to double check. Possible you have a one bar MAP sensor causing bad readings if electrical? Obviously with a blown head gasket you are not going to be able to enjoy your car very much. I would suggest double checking the plug wires. It is possible to have them on wrong and the car will still run, but will do goofy things with the turbo and as I stated before, should buck and stumble.