Good place for a rebuild rear end??

84gnLA

Does anyone know of a good reputable shop or person for a rear end rebuild?
Im in Los Angeles but i dont mind traveling a bit. Im doing the usual. New gears, new spline axles, new TA girdle, new ring and pinion.
Im in search of good quality, someone who takes pride in there work. If anyone can guide me towards the correct direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know of a good reputable shop or person for a rear end rebuild?
Im in Los Angeles but i dont mind traveling a bit. Im doing the usual. New gears, new spline axles, new TA girdle, new ring and pinion.
Im in search of good quality, someone who takes pride in there work. If anyone can guide me towards the correct direction it would be greatly appreciated.
I will be taking my car to Hoopers when I'm ready. SF valley. That has been the most recommended place to me, just passing it along.

I don't know of anyone for rear ends, because I have rebuilt all of mine...everything from jeeps, to fords, to my current GN. What are you doing exactly? I mean...why are you rebuilding? I could possibly help...just keep in mind, I am not in any way a 'certified' mechanic...just someone that has learned "the hard way" by having to do things more than once. ;)

What's wrong with my shop? I've only been doing this for the last 55 years 30 of them on TR's ?

Sorry Lou, I didn't know you did rear ends too! Damn that doesn't sound right... o_O
Anyone who would install a Buick engine in a Chevy is incapable of good judgment therefore I will overlook this infraction and render forgiveness. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Anyone who would install a Buick engine in a Chevy is incapable of good judgment therefore I will overlook this infraction and render forgiveness.
Forgive me Papa Lou for I have sinned.
I once succumbed to the perversion and uncleanliness of engine swaps and unfaithfulness. I have since repented for my sins, I have cometh clean of my wrong doings in the way of the Buick lords. Blessed I have been, given the opportunity to prove my allegiance in the form of a proper Buick build. Unfaithful no more! I shall be....

My GN rear end in the el Camino grinds when I make a right hand turn after a long ride.

What's wrong with my shop? I've only been doing this for the last 55 years 30 of them on TR's ?
Hey Lou, should i call or send you a private message? I should be getting the body off the frame within a couple weeks and would like to get the rear end done while things are at the powdercoater.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies . I looked up Hoopers and J&S Gear on yelp. Both businesses half similar good ratings 4.5 stars out of 5.

Forgive me Papa Lou for I have sinned.
I once succumbed to the perversion and uncleanliness of engine swaps and unfaithfulness. I have since repented for my sins, I have cometh clean of my wrong doings in the way of the Buick lords. Blessed I have been, given the opportunity to prove my allegiance in the form of a proper Buick build. Unfaithful no more! I shall be....

My GN rear end in the el Camino grinds when I make a right hand turn after a long ride.
rear end needs gear oil change.I also prefer the recommended GM lubricant and posi additive for older cars .

Lou: I really did not know that you did cars rear ends.
I thought you only did sheeps.