Good Air/Fuel ratio guage options

MNcarbturbo

What's Fuel Injection?
Before I want to mess around with the boost I was wanting to find a decent way of monitoring whats going on. Ive basically narrowed it down to 3 options

A. Air/Fuel ratio guage. Be nice to see if im running ritch or lean when I turn up the boost. Could be done with a EGT probe, but it isnt as responsive

B. A knock guage. From what ive understood, I would need a 83-87 knock sensor, Turbo 83 ECM, and a Caspers 10 LED guage. Would be the best option, but the hardest and most expensive. The knock sensor is easy enough to get but the ECM would be a pain to find, then wire. Not to mention if it would even work not being hooked up to a dizzy and carb. Be a great option if I had an 83 car or had the parts, but I have nothing for it. Not a huge fan of it too because it detects false knock, which is more to worry about.

C. EGT probe. My least favorite option. Slow to respond, doesnt tell you a whole lot but its cheap. A A/F ratio does the same thing but tells you more.

My favorite option out there is a A/F guage. Where do you put it into the intake at? Im not familiar with them at all. Is it like a water temp probe? Any good brands?

I'm using an AEM gauge It's good I'd recommend it.
There is also Innovate, Summit, they are all good. Ededlbrock has one but I don't recommend it it does not have a digital readout.

OK, you do go into the DP.

That AEM one looks good. Ive noticed you spend $70 for one without a didital screan or $300 for an automeater one. Around $200. Not cheap but it isnt as expensive either.

I take it it's important to have a ditital readout. Or atleast Id like to have one. Dont know if I trust a green light. Kinda like to have a number.

Here's a few others I found that I kinda like.

Auto Meter 8978 - Auto Meter Ultra-Lite Pro Digital Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio Gauges - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Holly one, but I dont know if they should stay to carbs or if they are any good.

Holley 534-200 - Holley Commander 950 Wideband O2 Gauges - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Ohh, and whats the difference between wideband and narrowband?

Practically all of those gauge type Widebands are knock off's of each other. With Autometer being th exception. Also the Autometer costs a lot more than that, You have to have a Ultra light Data acquisition system AND sensor(all sold seperatly) to have the Autometer work.
I chose the AEM because it's one that fits in a gauge pod, comes with sensor and harness and it comes with two different faceplates and readouts(AFR)/(Lambda)
I think an Innovate is the next best one too have but they are not in a guage form that you can't stick it in a gauge pod.
The difference 'tween narrow and wide band is: Narrow band is what most all OEM sensors and vehicles use, It reads just under and just over "Stoich" Example:13.8-15.8 where 14.7 is in the middle, they are temperature dependant, Non-linear output they really only tell you if your leaner richer or right on. Where a Wideband differs by covering a large area of the AFR scale say 10.0 rich to 20.0 lean, they are not temperature dependent and the output is a lot more linear, it can tell you the actual AFR not just that it's leaner or richer.

Good info.

That 14point7 kit looks good. I take it you run it like a normal wideband but you have the ability to download the info onto a computer and get a graph. Sweet.

I don't believe you need any ECM for a Casper's 10 led gauge. You do need an ESC module, which is no big deal. The gauge is wired to the output of the ESC module. Just a sensor, module and gauge. Casper's will walk you through it.

EGT don't respond slow if you have the right probe.