Good 4 speed auto for a 900-1000 WHP

slimtastic

yea dude...I rock
like the title says, my next build will end up being around the 900-1000 wheel hp range. the problem is the tranny choices are kinda of limited down to a glide or a th-400 as far as being bomb proof for that ammount of power.

the main problem is i want a 4 speed tranny (overdrive is nice) and a 4l80 from what ive seen is only capable of 900-1000 at the crank..id be pushing around 1200 hp at the crank which is clean out of a 4l80's range (from the few tranny websites ive visited)

what other options are out there for a 4 speed? i only plan on putting full power down in third gear...1st and 2nd would be progressive in power

i kinda feel that putting a gear vendor's overdrive unit on the back of a properly build th400 would add to the massive ammounts of power being burned in the driveline to begin with.

Properly Built 4L80 Can handle the Job up to about 1400 well within your range. Gear vendor not good choice IMO.

I have to agree with Lonnie on the gear vendor unit. We used to use one in the tow truck in the 80's and had to take the blasted thing out several times because it broke. This wasn't a high HP vehicle, it was the tow truck. Pulling a 42 foot gooseneck with 1 car in it and 5 people was just to much for it and I haven't seen where they've improved since then.

Properly Built 4L80 Can handle the Job up to about 1400 well within your range. Gear vendor not good choice IMO.
well that sounds like a good ammount of "wiggle room" for my requirements. would i have to go with the manual valvebody or can i keep it electronic? what kind of price would i be looking at for a "1400 hp 4l80"?

also ill be running the tranny (if electronic) on a bs3

I personally would not use the BS3 transmission control unless you already own it. I have Another fella having issues with it. I will PM you Pricing and details in the morning. Years ago Vendors were told not to price in a thread.

I personally would not use the BS3 transmission control unless you already own it. I have Another fella having issues with it. I will PM you Pricing and details in the morning. Years ago Vendors were told not to price in a thread.
thankyou i await your pm.