Good 1.5"-1.55" dia solid roller valve spring?

TurboTR

sprayhead
Anyone have recs for a good 1.5"-1.55" dia solid roller valve spring for a GN1R heads on an S2 app? The ones I have currently may be just a bit stout for a hot street/strip Sat night special type application. For a pure race app, probably good though. Installed height can be up to 1.85" or so. 242 Comp extreme street solid roller lobes and 1.65 rockers so they need alot of lift clearance, about 0.630" + ~ 0.060" margin. 3/8" dia Smith Bros pushrods. TIA!

TurboTR

Hey Todd,

I've got Crower's 68670S's on my heads now. Same springs were used on these heads with Greg had them. Seem to be ok after many many street miles. They are H11 Vasco Tool Steel though.. I do hear, that when they do wear out, they will quickly loose their tension.

Mine are setup at 1.9 valve height. They are 1.54" outer diameter springs.

You can find specs on crower.com.

Also, when I talked to Tom at Champion a year ago, he carries Isky springs for solid roller cams at a VERY reasonable price..I can't quote an exact price, but they were close to 2/3's of what these crowers cost.

TurboTR said:
Anyone have recs for a good 1.5"-1.55" dia solid roller valve spring for a GN1R heads on an S2 app? The ones I have currently may be just a bit stout for a hot street/strip Sat night special type application. For a pure race app, probably good though. Installed height can be up to 1.85" or so. 242 Comp extreme street solid roller lobes and 1.65 rockers so they need alot of lift clearance, about 0.630" + ~ 0.060" margin. 3/8" dia Smith Bros pushrods. TIA!

TurboTR

Comp cams bee hive springs will work just fine. It is the stock springs for an LS1 motor, cant remember the part number. It is NOT a bolt in deal, you have to some machine work done for them to fit.

Reggie West said:
Comp cams bee hive springs will work just fine. It is the stock springs for an LS1 motor, cant remember the part number. It is NOT a bolt in deal, you have to some machine work done for them to fit.

For a solid roller??? If they don't have at least 200lb of seat pressure at the correct installed height I wouldn't even think about it. For .600+ lift he'll need a pretty serious spring. I'd just check around for a spring in the 220lb range once he finds out the correct installed height.

From my research PSI springs are the best with the least amount of drop. If you drive a car a lot on the street and buy a cheap comp spring make sure to get at least 20-30lb more spring seat pressure than you need. This leaves room when they drop pressure.

TurboTR said:
Hmm, what machine work do you think would be required in this case?

TurbiTR

Dusty is right. With that much lift you will need to use the heavier bee hive spring. That spring is working just fine on a set of TA heads with a roller cam and 630 lift on it.

PM me if you want more details.