Gong Tree Material

mtbraun

I need to replace our steel gong tree at the local gun club. A while back a frequent shooter recommended we make the gongs out of a certain spec of steel. Existing gongs are mild steel. I can't remember what it was and can't get in contact with the guy. I suspect it had something to do with close range pistol shooters and fragmentation coming back at the shooters.

Anyone have experience with this?

Did it a while ago myself. We used a 3.8" thick mild steel and the way it hung the slugs wouldn't frag easily but deflect down. I did make the mistake of mixing some armor peircing in with some .308 once though and blasted a few holes in them.:oops: The biggest thing is to make sure how it's hung and swings. If it rotates then you'll have an issue with frags sometimes.

I have several steel targets made out of D2 & A2 tool steel. You can't weld to them because the weld makes it brittle and the shock from rifle rounds will break all around the weld. You can drill them and hang them from a chain off of each corner. Make sure they angle down slightly for recochet. Also look into A500 armor plate for heavy use.