Going with an f-body radiator/external oil cooler

I just did this install and got my f-body radiator at advance auto for $99.00. Put an external tranny and oil cooler on and I'm happy with the results!!

OK I got the radiator in and mocked up and I'm ready to tackle the coolers next but quick question, is the radiator fan supposed to have the thickness of 1 1/2 fingers spacing from the radiator or should the fan shroud be flat up against the radiator?

I should've taken a picture before hand.

what fan are you using? I would say have the shroud flat up against the radiator or otherwise negate even having a shroud. The purpose is to draw air through the area of the shroud, and not just the area of the fan blades. Otherwise, all it would accomplish is swirling air around in the engine bay. But obviously make sure the fan blade itself won't come in contact w/ the core. HTH..good luck

This gap is normal. I have every bit of that on mine cools fine!! If your using the stock fan it should bolt right up to the bracket on the bottom and to the radiator hold down plate on the top.

what fan are you using? I would say have the shroud flat up against the radiator or otherwise negate even having a shroud. The purpose is to draw air through the area of the shroud, and not just the area of the fan blades. Otherwise, all it would accomplish is swirling air around in the engine bay. But obviously make sure the fan blade itself won't come in contact w/ the core. HTH..good luck

Stock fan, I think I may have mounted it wrong? Like I said there's a 1 1/2 finger gap. Shoot, anyone have a close up pic of that area by chance?

This gap is normal. I have every bit of that on mine cools fine!! If your using the stock fan it should bolt right up to the bracket on the bottom and to the radiator hold down plate on the top.

Oh ok thanks, I usually take pics but somehow didnt this time

It didn't seem that he had a very modified car that would be putting that much more strain on the tranny. And he DOES have airflow, thats the purpose of the fan, and also the purpose of mounting the coolers basically airtight to the radiator core. I was always under the impression that coolers with integrated fans were primarily for people that wanted to remote mount a cooler, be it for space constraints or whatever. Also leads me to wonder why they would even sell coolers w/o fans if they didn't work, because I'm using one on a 700 hp BBC Regal, that I drive to work everyday, and I built this tranny 4 yrs ago, and also on a 1000hp S2 GN, no problems for me....but I guess everyone has their own opinion

External coolers with no fans are worth it in conjunction with the radiator cooler. I just don't like the external by iteslf without a dedicated fan. I ran mine that way with the cooler 1/2" from the radiator, in front of the fan and in slow stop and go traffic temps would creep up to 210 degrees and higher. This was driving it nicely. Once moving it would go down to 180. The radiator cooler keeps things cool when not moving and the external backs it up with additional cooling when you have airflow. It's not an opinion, it's an observation from someone that has tried both.

Anyone have any examples of how they did their external tranny cooler? Do I have to plug up the holes in the radiator if Im not using them or can I just leave them as is? I removed the lines that came from the radiator that connected to the hard lines and bent one of them up so obviously I'll need to replace that.

Did people use their stock oil cooler lines with the external oil cooler?

External coolers with no fans are worth it in conjunction with the radiator cooler. I just don't like the external by iteslf without a dedicated fan. I ran mine that way with the cooler 1/2" from the radiator, in front of the fan and in slow stop and go traffic temps would creep up to 210 degrees and higher. This was driving it nicely. Once moving it would go down to 180. The radiator cooler keeps things cool when not moving and the external backs it up with additional cooling when you have airflow. It's not an opinion, it's an observation from someone that has tried both.

Opinion: 1 a: a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter b

I stated my opinion, how can you tell me its not right or not an opinion? I've also tried both, on customer cars as well, and in my opinion...yeah theres that word again, it is not necessary for the average car. Yeah if your extra picky, and like to spend extra money for your peace of mind, then yeah go for it

Opinion: 1 a: a view, judgment, or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter b

I stated my opinion, how can you tell me its not right or not an opinion? I've also tried both, on customer cars as well, and in my opinion...yeah theres that word again, it is not necessary for the average car. Yeah if your extra picky, and like to spend extra money for your peace of mind, then yeah go for it

Don't turn this into a pissing match. What I offered are facts based on what I have experienced both with and without a radiator cooler. They are not an opinion, they are facts.

I have posted transmission temps both with and without the radiator cooler. I have not seen anyone else post temps. All I have seen are opinions and theories so far yet you bash me for stating facts. What exactly is your agenda?

lol man, chill out, I'm not bashing you or anything you said. I said what I had to say, and I'm moving on. You can have your facts and scientific formulas and little calculations, I said I think it isn't necessary, and you say it is...case closed