Go Karting at Buick Horsepower Nationals in Indy

72firebird

Well I've been trying to think of something to do for those of us not planning on going to the bars. I found out about an indoor go kart place called Fast Times that has 270cc 9hp go karts. Now these aren't your everday kiddie go karts, they do up to 40 mph, and reguire a full safety suit, helmet, and that you're 18 years old. From what I have heard the karts will do burnouts when you floor it. The track is 2 levels high and over 900' long.

The event would take place on Thursday June 29th at 6pm, it takes about 20 minutes to get to the kart place from the track or the Hilton Hotel. There are two ways to setup the event. We do either fast lap time, so everyone has equal seat time. Or, there's a Grand Prix style with qualifying heat races, and then a final event with top drivers from each race (kind of like a bracket). Either way the top 3 drivers will receive trophies and the top driver will receive a shirt. The whole event will include access to a 10 ft projector screen that we can play Buick racing videos on and a catered italian buffet dinner. The price will be between $80-100 per person but you're welcome to bring family with you for free. We'll be the only ones in the facility besides for their staff for the time we have the place rented.

Here's the website, they have a bunch of pictures of the karts, food, and entertainment areas. http://www.fastimesindoorkarting.com/

Please let me know if you're interested, there will be a deposit before the scheduled date to make our reservations. I need 32 people in order to rent the place out at that rate. If you're interested you can either pm me or contact me at Mengele62@yahoo.com Please include an email adress I can easily reach you at if you PM me. I'll try to keep everyone posted as more stuff comes up.

I don't have a buick.... so I probably won't be there... but I can talk about fastimes.

I am on the University of Illinois Formula SAE team, and we kart there every fall. It is one of the best driving experiences around. Very challenging course, and a ton of fun. Gives you a whole new perspective on driving when you ride 40 mph 2 inches off the ground.

Karts won't do standing "burnouts" really... but they have enough power to pretty much drift the entire track... you do most of your steering with the throttle. If you think you are a good driver, take the challenge and prove it :biggrin: You learn a lot about driving out there. Right when you think you start getting good lap times, you see the posted times for the best laps of the month from some of the more regular drivers, and are humbled.

Ok, that's all.... highly, highly recommended. The fastimes trip makes me wanna go :cool:

83hurstguy said:
I don't have a buick.... so I probably won't be there... but I can talk about fastimes.

I am on the University of Illinois Formula SAE team, and we kart there every fall. It is one of the best driving experiences around. Very challenging course, and a ton of fun. Gives you a whole new perspective on driving when you ride 40 mph 2 inches off the ground.

Karts won't do standing "burnouts" really... but they have enough power to pretty much drift the entire track... you do most of your steering with the throttle. If you think you are a good driver, take the challenge and prove it :biggrin: You learn a lot about driving out there. Right when you think you start getting good lap times, you see the posted times for the best laps of the month from some of the more regular drivers, and are humbled.

Ok, that's all.... highly, highly recommended. The fastimes trip makes me wanna go :cool:

thanks for the helpful input. I plan on going down there in a couple weeks to try it out for myself. You should come out there with us and just enjoy the week watching fast buicks and racing go karts.

72firebird said:
thanks for the helpful input. I plan on going down there in a couple weeks to try it out for myself. You should come out there with us and just enjoy the week watching fast buicks and racing go karts.

damn that sounds fun :biggrin:

I would love to... actually am gonna be on an engineering internship for the summer with daimlerchrysler (ducks rotten tomatoes), so time off is not gonna be easy to get. Maybe when I have a buick in a couple years :wink: Thanks for the invite.