GNX w/16 Miles at Mecum Chicago

Chrisk

TurboTransAm.com

a74e349b603c6a4f9bd8423e9a3a28be.jpg

f8813ef407f570b60de425e76a67a260.jpg

2ae9d41eaf68484a76a8d92e9a020ec0.jpg

As expected, the bumper fillers being chaulked out . But , you'd think the seller would polish them up before the show . And , at least to my eye from the pics shown , the car could have used a detail polishing/buffing . Looks to me on the trunk lid picture , it cloudy/scratchy ? What was it like in person ?
Also, yet the one at BJ Palm Beach with 362 miles , the one with the riveted door moldings , sold for $150k ???????? And the last one at Mecum with 12 miles sold for $140k . I guess it's hit or miss when and where you bring your car to sell .
Either way , that's still good $$$$$ for an 87 Regal !!!!!!

Nice X. Auctions are total crap shoots.
Not to be nit- picky but why is the left hood shock upside down. Or am I seeing things.

As expected, the bumper fillers being chaulked out . But , you'd think the seller would polish them up before the show . And , at least to my eye from the pics shown , the car could have used a detail polishing/buffing . Looks to me on the trunk lid picture , it cloudy/scratchy ? What was it like in person ?
Also, yet the one at BJ Palm Beach with 362 miles , the one with the riveted door moldings , sold for $150k ???????? And the last one at Mecum with 12 miles sold for $140k . I guess it's hit or miss when and where you bring your car to sell .
Either way , that's still good $$$$$ for an 87 Regal !!!!!!

Totally agree with you in regards to quality detail work on an auction car/when selling a car. A simple 2 step buff/polish would have probably helped that car tremendously just judging by the pictures posted here of it.

I would have bidded on that car but I was at my vacation house in Tahiti. Maybe next one.

We will see that car again on the auction block. My guess is the buyer will fix all the little flaws, have it prepped properly, and make $40k profit at BJ auction within the next year.

It's safe to say all these X's with the sub 100 miles are just going to be passed on from caretaker to caretaker and never be driven and enjoyed .
Here's my take :
You bought an X new for anywhere from the $29k to $40k's ?You have locked up that X for 28 years not driving it , keeping less than 100 miles on it , to sell it for , for arguments sake , $100-110k , sometimes more , sometimes less.
Compared to using /enjoying it , sparingly with 1-5k miles and could sell it for approx $80k . That's only a $20-30k difference. You could have bought/sold/flipped many cars during those years making $1,2,5-10k on each far exceeding the profit of having it all locked up in one item . You're not the only guy on the block doing this , so it is not a rare sight to see an X with crazy low miles , I'd venture to say , I'd bet more than half of them are like this.
Not trying to offend anyone with time capsule X in their garage , but I do get it , there are just outright plain collectors which do not car about driving the car , it is just a showpiece to them . So to each their own I guess .

You'd actually want to see 30yo bumper fillers like that to indicate the car is truly all original. It's the nature of the material GM used. I have a garaged, original 87 GN with 9,800mi, that the fillers are slowly turning grayish black and the headlight buckets are beginning to oxidize as well. I'd never restore or change them personally, unless they disintegrated. Remember, it's only original once and survivor cars have really been taking off over the last few years. They're now actually being recognized as superior to full concourse restorations, including judging at major events.

I heard the perfect analogy recently where a highly esteemed auto appraiser compared a fully restored car to someone having a totally restored Leonardo painting. He asked, "Are you going to tell me it's now worth more because it has new paint?". Other good examples would be old guns and coins. People constantly get their hearts broken when they hear how much their item would've potentially been worth had they not cleaned it, and just left it alone.

Attachments

• 1445205550585.jpg
    1445205550585.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
It's safe to say all these X's with the sub 100 miles are just going to be passed on from caretaker to caretaker and never be driven and enjoyed .
Here's my take :
You bought an X new for anywhere from the $29k to $40k's ?You have locked up that X for 28 years not driving it , keeping less than 100 miles on it , to sell it for , for arguments sake , $100-110k , sometimes more , sometimes less.
Compared to using /enjoying it , sparingly with 1-5k miles and could sell it for approx $80k . That's only a $20-30k difference. You could have bought/sold/flipped many cars during those years making $1,2,5-10k on each far exceeding the profit of having it all locked up in one item . You're not the only guy on the block doing this , so it is not a rare sight to see an X with crazy low miles , I'd venture to say , I'd bet more than half of them are like this.
Not trying to offend anyone with time capsule X in their garage , but I do get it , there are just outright plain collectors which do not car about driving the car , it is just a showpiece to them . So to each their own I guess .

Not to mention transporting it here and there, keeping it warm dry and safe, upkeep and in operable condition. I think it's more about being able to say you own/owned one than any type of real investment other than holdings. Actually right now would be the time to buy and hope it triples in the next 10. As far as driving and enjoying I don't see these offering anything in a driving experience waay beyond what a slightly modified GN does, 99% of people don't know the difference...it would mostly be for the Turbo Buick crowd and some car guys.

Not to mention transporting it here and there, keeping it warm dry and safe, upkeep and in operable condition. I think it's more about being able to say you own/owned one than any type of real investment other than holdings. Actually right now would be the time to buy and hope it triples in the next 10. As far as driving and enjoying I don't see these offering anything in a driving experience waay beyond what a slightly modified GN does, 99% of people don't know the difference...it would mostly be for the Turbo Buick crowd and some car guys.
Go back to the 1970 Buick GSX , it offered NO additional power , just an appearance package . I do believe those who have a GNX that they are actually gonna drive , with the exception of maybe a few , I don't think they are getting beat on by any means , but driven rather cautiously .
It goes without saying that a slightly modified GN or T will outperform a stock X .My 87 GN slightly modified has gone 12.17 @ 112 , so it is more fun to drive in the aspect of having one to beat on .

What a shame. Someone owned a legend and didn't even enjoy it. Add up all the storage and maintenance and they probably lost money. Crying shame. I drive mine. its only a gn (78k miles To date ) cause its a blast and could care less what its worth when I'm done with it. I hate that business and money is holding cars that shoulD be enjoyed.