GNX Question - Exhaust System

eric roozen

I recently purchased a GNX #180. The car came with stainless steel exhaust system. The originals came with the car. The original mufflers have pin holes (maybe a little bigger than pin holes) due to condensation. I would like to know can they be restored and what would be the proper way to restore them.
Thank you

Congrats on purchase and...

I highly doubt that they could be restored. A pinhole on the outside usually translates to much more rot on the inside. You would have to have someone cut the bad sections out and have new welded in.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. I would just shrink wrap them from this point on and save for when you ever sell the car. (if ever) If someone were to try to de-value the car based on the non-stock exhaust, I would just laugh at them.

JMHO

keep your eye on the hurst olds site and you might find an NOS set there. They are the same thing !!!

I highly doubt that they could be restored. A pinhole on the outside usually translates to much more rot on the inside. You would have to have someone cut the bad sections out and have new welded in.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. I would just shrink wrap them from this point on and save for when you ever sell the car. (if ever) If someone were to try to de-value the car based on the non-stock exhaust, I would just laugh at them.

JMHO

I agree... and Congradulations:cool:

Go to Walker muflers web site, look up 1987 olds cutles 5.0 305 (442) you can buy any part that you need for your exhaust system. It's the same system that buick used for the GNX.:smile:

Also , anyone that needs a concourse correct exhaust system for a GN can try Gardner Exhaust systems. I don't know if they still make it ,but you can give them a try.

Gardner exhaust

I just contacted them, they do not make a GNX style system. He did say that he might start a run for the GN. I guess if enough people email him about the GN and GNX systems he probably will start to make them. If you check their website, they do some amazing quality work.

Here is a link: http://www.gardnerexhaust.com/