GNX ,Prototypes,Parts,Build Info, EXC

Prorotype Spacer

This is a spacer that was going to be used on the rear suspension cross bar, but was not needed for production. It was first thought that the tolerance of the frame would very more then they did. Also originally the bar was only going to be bolted in:eek: but it was later changed to bolted and welded:biggrin: .
Pictured is an original pre prototype cross member used to help make our assembly fixtures for the rear suspension installation.:biggrin:

Attachments

• 2009_01062008-11-230001.jpg
    2009_01062008-11-230001.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,661
  • 2009_01062008-11-230002.jpg
    2009_01062008-11-230002.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 1,657
  • 2009_01062008-11-230004.jpg
    2009_01062008-11-230004.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,638
  • 2009_01062008-11-230003.jpg
    2009_01062008-11-230003.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,640
Anything new to add?

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Came to find out, I knew very little about the GNX and the history behind the assembly. Thanks to X Ray and everyone else who posted with interesting tid-bits and repro info. :cool:

Anything new to add? *subscribed*

Prototype Louvers

What you will see in the installment is the original prototype design for the Louver assembly that was also used in the start of production. This system for attaching the louvers was flawed for production …..it did not allow for vehicle variation between the front fender and inner panel. This was the reason production was halted and delayed for several weeks until we could come up with a new design. I will show what ended up in production in the near future.

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,452
  • Slide2.jpg
    Slide2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,417
Awesome facts on the louvers. Thanks X-Ray. I am in the midst of making my own inner ducts to connect between the outer louvers and the inner bezels made repro from kirban. I am going to mock them up out of cardboard and then make out of fiberglass or aluminum.

What were the final inner ducts constructed of?

I never saw this thread before. I'm gonna go back and read the rest later. Good info and thank you.

Hi Rick,

Was wondering if you could provide us with info you have on Ron Nash Engineering's role in development of the rear end hardware?

Thanks

Joe

Ron Nash

Actually I can not provide a lot on this subject as this part of the program was run through McLaren Engines….what I believe happened is that Nash Engineering was the lead engineering on the rear suspension working with McLaren……. I do know revisions were made to some of the components based on durability testing at McLaren… and it was also evaluated at ASC…..the changes we implemented included a length change in the Panhard rod as the tire was hitting the RH wheel flare during a jounce event(hitting a big bump) . Additional changes were made based on durability testing adding the cross car support rod to improve frame durability …..Ron Nash was also the supplier for most of the suspension components….

What you will see in the installment is the original prototype design for the Louver assembly that was also used in the start of production. This system for attaching the louvers was flawed for production …..it did not allow for vehicle variation between the front fender and inner panel. This was the reason production was halted and delayed for several weeks until we could come up with a new design. I will show what ended up in production in the near future.

What was the final version they used for the fender vents?

Production Louver Design

Pictured is the production design for the louver assemblies.( Note: I did not have parts to make up one full set:frown: so I had to show parts from the LH and RH side of the vehicle)
Mentioned previously the prototype system did not allow for variance in the vehicle, this new system breaks it into two separate component assemblies, an inner and outer. The outer assembly now has a retention bracket to pull the louver against the fender to insure proper alignment to the fender . The second illustration shows the inner assembly that now is completely isolated from the outer assembly thus allowing the outer assembly to fit properly.

Attachments

• Slide4.jpg
    Slide4.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,187
  • Slide5.jpg
    Slide5.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,201
Nice

Very nice info rick!!!!!! It took me about 6 hrs per side to make up my inner vent. I welded the vent to the inner structure,a little tricky around the power antenna.. After vent was complete,i used a small bead of seamsealer and black epoxy primer. Vents are fully functional.. I saved my carboard and paper model panels so if i ever need to replace one,i'll know what will fit and work. (i hope i never have to). My friend(you know him) john canut(gnocide) has the same idea in mind. He is making his gn into a gnx,he has the rear suspension and misc other parts..this time around we'll take photos to show the progress...anyways ,rick....as always... Thanks for the info!!!!!

Vents I had made up over the summer

Here is a set that I had made up over the summer. I did the CAD work and had somebody make them up for me. Like your idea for connecting the louver to the vent. I didn't think of anything about connecting the two. I look at it as the louver sticks into the hole enough and goes into the vent anyways to get all the benefits. I was just thinking of making a piece to cover part of the front part of the vent to close that gap up and push more air into the louvers. The way the louvers are designed it should suck some of the air from that front gap also. I don't think the louvers are enough to suck out enough hot air from Kirbans kit. I believe you have to have that vent inside the fender to keep the hot air in the area. I'm just starting to try to sell a few sets.

very nice!!!

here is a set that i had made up over the summer. I did the cad work and had somebody make them up for me. Like your idea for connecting the louver to the vent. I didn't think of anything about connecting the two. I look at it as the louver sticks into the hole enough and goes into the vent anyways to get all the benefits. I was just thinking of making a piece to cover part of the front part of the vent to close that gap up and push more air into the louvers. The way the louvers are designed it should suck some of the air from that front gap also. I don't think the louvers are enough to suck out enough hot air from kirbans kit. I believe you have to have that vent inside the fender to keep the hot air in the area. I'm just starting to try to sell a few sets.

you did a great job on these!!!shoot me an e mail on how much you want for a set.(you'll save me alot of work on my buddy's car) thanks......

you did a great job on these!!!shoot me an e mail on how much you want for a set.(you'll save me alot of work on my buddy's car) thanks......
sorry I didn't see your post until now. E-mail me back here at my personal address and I'll give members that mention they got my e-mail address from TurboBuick.com
and I'll give a 20% discount from what I was selling them on eBay vikzimm@comcast.net

The Binder

This is the actual three ring binder I used for taking notes during the prototype build…I used it for documenting the dimension for cutting out the fenders and several other prototype notes. It was also used during the first production builds. I wrote the turbo and intercooler numbers that were installed on the vehicles. And yes that is a real GNX center cap sticker I put on the binder back in 87…and yes I still have the actual notes inside....:D

Attachments

• Binder.jpg
    Binder.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,002