GNX inspired dash

The_Six

I had a little time today on my lunch break and decided to work on my Dash a little. I’m going to try and make a step by step how to for every one wanting a GNX dash.
This is a list of parts you will need not including your gauges and the panel to mount them too. This is assuming you are going to have cruz control and would like indicator lights for every thing.
103071 Connector Mate, Dash Bulkhead $35 1 needed
102007 VDO Converter Tach Module $33 2 needed
102045 VSS VDO Sender Dead End $82 1 needed
102046 VSS Convertor $82 1 needed
5 LEDs 1 for cruz, 1 for check engine, 1 for brights, and 2 for blinkers.
Now I’m a little picky about making things match in my car and I didn’t want mixed matched gauges so I was trying to find a combination of gauges that all looked the same but for all 9 of the gauges I wanted to use. Problem was there are not many gauge choices out there that would have worked without me changing from the LC-1 wide band I have to an autometer WB and I didn’t want to do that if I didn’t have to. That left me with a limited choice of ether digital gauges or 2 different brands of gauges that looked similar and I didn’t want to do that.
While I was looking at gauges on here I remembered DJ Red Barron’s dash and how he had a matched set of gauges from speed hut. So after a few PMs to him I decide I was going to check speed hut out.
For those that don’t know Speed hut will make you custom gauges in any configuration you can come up with including custom graphics on the faces. This took care of my need for everything to look the same. Now that was not the only reason I decided to go with them they also have a few other advantages for us T-Buick guys.
1. is no tach convertor is needed for our cars you can take the wire from the dash the feeds the tach wire to the there tach and your good to go this is one less part to worry about and $32 you don’t need to spend. I do have an extra convertor on hand just in case.
2. These gauges are thin less than 1 inch of gauge sticks out of the back so a lot less cutting to make room for them.
3. You can have LEDs for turn signals and brights added to the speedo.
4. The wiring it’s all there if you buy 5 or more gauges they come with a prewired power harness and an adjustable dimmer to adjust the brightness of the gauges at night. .
Now for some pics of the gauges.
IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1573.jpg

hello people; Your doing a fine job keep up the good work. I had a chance to purchase an aftermarket set up but changed my mind and who knows I might change my mind again. It's definately better.
IBBY

Now to get started I got my panel from here on the board they over all its ok looks good but I think it could use a few minor changes for these gauges do to the way the sin lock collars the gauges needed to be just a little bit further apart. And the panel was just a little too short there is no wiggle room and I could end up with a small gap if I can’t line it up perfect installed in the car.
To prep the original dash panel for cutting I taped off the edges I did not want to hurt if I slipped with electrical tape I placed blue masking tape over that just so it would show in the pics. Next on the back side there is a mounting tab and guide pin that needs to be cut off its in the way and will need to be removed.
IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1566.jpg

I then used a razor blade knife and started to cut around the original gauge faces you can use the overlay sticker as a guide it works good for this.. Take your time here it took me around 30 min. I’m sure you could use a dremel or something to make this a lot quicker but I didn’t want to take the chance of cutting ware I didn’t want to. And here is what you will have when done.
IMG_1568.jpg

Now it’s going to be a little ruff ware you cut it out and when in the car you won’t be able to see it unless you look for it but I’m one of those guys that would see it every time I looked at the dash so I took some 2k grit sand paper to it to blend it in I don’t have a pic of this finished but here is a before pic.
IMG_1567.jpg

Well I didn’t get to the wiring but I did test fit everything and take a pic to see what it would look like so now for the million dollar shot. Next will be how to wire it up so that it will be almost plug and play and were the inner dash needs to be clearanced .
IMG_1569.jpg

Nice Job!

How much money do you think you have in the dash at this point?

Just on the speed hut page playing with the customizing gauges. You can come up with some really nice looking combinations.

Looks good Earl, don't forget the alky light and turns and brights and I run a light for the double pumper side 2.

Really looks sweet.

Thanks Guys my speedo was supose to have LEDs for all that stuff but they sent me the wrong one. So I had to send it back for the LEDs. I cant wait to get power to them they light up cobalt blue.
Well the cost depends on how you look at the gauges I have. if you figure all nine gauges not just the seven in the dash since I don’t know what I’m going to put in the dash yet. If I go with a pillar pod for the last 2 gauges it will be as you see it now if I go consol pod then I will put the volt and fuel level in the consol and move my boost and fuel pressure to the dash this will move the cost of the dash some. If you don’t include the boost and fuel pressure total cost was $900 with them its $1200. I know it’s a lot of cash and I had to sell my VDO dash that was in it along with every extra part and my right kidney to do it but I think it will be worth it in the end.
Now I just have to make up my mind on if I want to have a pillar pod or the consol pod.
Here is what this dash will be replacing.
gn37.jpg

Looks good Earl! For those who don't know, the "OLD" VDO dash is my old dash and is in my GN now. I think maybe down the road I may go with an 8 gauge setup instead of the 6. I do like your 7 gauge though. Guess it all depends on what gauges you want to run. You can go pretty crazy with doing a setup like this. If you go cheap, it will look cheap!

Ya it can get expensive quick I was going to drop the Volt and water or the wide band gauge and only have the 7 gauges in the dash and use the scanmaster and translator for the other guages but deicded in the end I would rather hide the translator and scanmaster.
I had a chance to get an eight gauge set up at the time I got the 7 but I didn’t like how the speedo and tach were not centered above the steering wheel. I’m working now on getting a complete dash bezel made from aluminum that will replace the hole dash panel no more cutting a stocker up, but it’s going to be a while before I can have the first one made looks like it will be around $500 to have it made + plus the cost to have Ronnie powder coat it black. I’ve been hinting to the kids that it’s what I want for Christmas this year.

???

It adds up quick---but much better than the REAL GNX I'm trying to install (still waiting on the correct fuel gage). I have an oil, water and trans temp. sender in each location with a multi position switch in my car now with VDO gages. I use one gage and switch between senders. Would this be possible with what you have? Knowing the gage is going to say water or whatever. You just have to know or mark your switch. I would like to also use one pressure gage and monitor trans. and oil pressure. Can't find a VDO that will go to 300 psi.

Do you still have to cut the plastic piece behind the dash to fit the gauges? I know it must be easier using an electronic speedometer because then you do not have to cut the hole in the vent for the speedometer cable.

You should be able to switch back and forth I know the fuel pressure and oil pressure sending unit are the same. Speed hut said only difference was the face plate on the gauge. I bet speed hut can do a set of 300 psi gauges they have some diesel stuff.
I will have to do a little clearancing on the part behind the dash but nothing like what had to be done with the vdo gauges.

dude i wish i had known i need a right kidney. dash looks good i need to work on mine.