GNX diff cover sealant question.

LC2 ROD

The original LC2 ROD
So Im reassembling the GNX rear suspension and I would like to know what sealant, if any, was used at ASC on the diff cover surface.
I dont recall a gasket in place when removed, like on a GN cover.
Maybe a anaerobic sealer or GMS or gasket or gaskacinch.
X Ray may remember what they used, or is there something better out there? Ive seen many leaking in pics, as this one was.
Thanks.

You can also use Ultra Black

We use a simular product sealing heavy truck Diffs

it is very resistant to oil.

make sure the surface is Clean and Dry.

Wipe with Alcohol or something.

I do seem to recall some pictures of the GNX covers with evidence of pinkish sealer weeping from the differential cover mating surface. But I just crawled underneath both my cars and no evidence of any sealer (or gasket) anywhere.

This would definitely be a question for our man Rick!

No there was no gasket for the application as none was needed….but adhesive sealant was used but I do not have the brand information…..the two previously suggested would do the job…:D

You can also use Ultra Black

We use a simular product sealing heavy truck Diffs

it is very resistant to oil.

make sure the surface is Clean and Dry.

Wipe with Alcohol or something.

How it Ultra Black when it comes time for removal of parts? Some sealers bond more than others.

X2 No Gasket

No Gasket Was Used Because The Gasket Would Crush From The Pressure On The Alum Cover. This Was Already Tested In North Carolina By Some Fells Who Made The Reproduction Rear Susp.

No Gasket Was Used Because The Gasket Would Crush From The Pressure On The Alum Cover. This Was Already Tested In North Carolina By Some Fells Who Made The Reproduction Rear Susp.

I was under the impression that because the GNX differential cover and the differential housing have perfectly machined surfaces, no gasket would be needed. Kind of like a turbo buick's lack of a gasket between the machined surface of the turbo and machined surface of the downpipe flange.

You can't get away with that on a normal diff. cover because it is a stamped piece of steel lacking precise machining and will flex, so either a sealant or a gasket is needed.

But, that's just my thought on the subject, I've been wrong before!:biggrin:

i would say they used some kind of sealer on the cover. rears tend to get hot and i would think some leakage would happen between the two surfaces without something there. the black is what i used on my alum cover.

Thanks for all the input. I ended up going with the GM gasket maker, ( AKA anaerobic sealer, dosnt cure in the presence of air ) this is the stuff we use on front diff case halves where no gasket is used.
IMO I think ASC would have used it. Ill let you know if it leaks.:eek:

Attachments

• 100_1307.jpg
    100_1307.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 140
  • 100_1282.jpg
    100_1282.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 150