GNX destroyed under Clunkers Program

Hemmings MM even had a write up on it! I scanned it... I am very happy to see all the $hitstangs crushed. Anytime a $hitstang is destroyed is a good day! :D

Attachments

• GNXCLUNKER2.jpg
    GNXCLUNKER2.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 537
I think this is an urban legend. What dealer would ever take a GNX in a Cash 4 Clunkers deal. Dealers are the most cut throat people there are and know the value of a real GNX. A part of the C4C program was the cars had to be running cars.... Even if an idiot took a running GNX to the dealer for a C4C trade, don't you think the dealer would give the customer more than $3,500-$4,500 as just a regular conventional trade in? I think this is just a mistaken ID of the car on the list and if it is a government list... enough said. Hemming Muscle Machines is one of my favorite magazines but they include errors on almost every car in just about every issue. Remember all the wrong "facts" on the Regal "Limited" and other Buick articles.

What most people fail to mention with the C4C program is that not only did the Govt reimburse the dealership the 3500-4500 dollars on the eligible trade-in, but they(the dealership) also paid a "scrap value" for the vehicle as well.

For example my brother traded in his 1991 Chevy Blazer under the program. He recieved the full $4500 Govt money plus a $1000 scrap value from the dealership.

I can only imagine that a few resourceful individuals figured out a loophole in the system that was most likely a tax benefit as well.

I am assuming that the GNX (or any of the other unlikely vehicles on that list) was probably a high mileage, bad example, or had some sort of black mark history that made it's value low, or was not sellable as a "GNX" at all.

For example, If I trade in my eligible GNX for the $4500 plus a scrap value of $80,000 then I have now successfully moved $80,000 out of my dealership and into my private funds. This is money that I now don't have to pay taxes on as a dealer and the Govt just paid me $4500 to do so. And I have now moved my problematic GNX without hitch.

Kind of a great way to unload a car that was sitting around for a while isn't it?

What most people fail to mention with the C4C program is that not only did the Govt reimburse the dealership the 3500-4500 dollars on the eligible trade-in, but they(the dealership) also paid a "scrap value" for the vehicle as well.

For example my brother traded in his 1991 Chevy Blazer under the program. He recieved the full $4500 Govt money plus a $1000 scrap value from the dealership.

I can only imagine that a few resourceful individuals figured out a loophole in the system that was most likely a tax benefit as well.

I am assuming that the GNX (or any of the other unlikely vehicles on that list) was probably a high mileage, bad example, or had some sort of black mark history that made it's value low, or was not sellable as a "GNX" at all.

For example, If I trade in my eligible GNX for the $4500 plus a scrap value of $80,000 then I have now successfully moved $80,000 out of my dealership and into my private funds. This is money that I now don't have to pay taxes on as a dealer and the Govt just paid me $4500 to do so. And I have now moved my problematic GNX without hitch.

Kind of a great way to unload a car that was sitting around for a while isn't it?

ANY vehicle sold to the gov under c4c has a title clearly marked as such and MUST be sold to a participating junkyard within a certain number of days for the dealership to get any money and avoid heavy fines. The salvage yard has i believe 120 to 180 days before it must be sent off to the shredder. Sure i'd bet a few vehicles got vin swaps at the salvage yard because they were too nice to shred. But if you vin swapped a GNX it would render it almost worthless. I dunno if there's a way to get a tax deduction out of it, but you can be sure that any VIN submitted to the gov. will not ever be a usable VIN ever again. The potential fines they hold over everyones heads far outweigh the value of any gnx.

bob

the biggest problem with all those high profile cars on that list is there isnt any pictures or videos on the net... you are telling me in the age of cell phone cameras that some service guy at any of these dealerships couldnt get a pic of any of these cars? all i found was a fair condition c4 that wouldnt die...i love the 2008 chrysler 300 on the list...who trades in a 1 year old car for 4,500? I still have yet to see evidence to support this list.

the biggest problem with all those high profile cars on that list is there isnt any pictures or videos on the net... you are telling me in the age of cell phone cameras that some service guy at any of these dealerships couldnt get a pic of any of these cars? all i found was a fair condition c4 that wouldnt die...i love the 2008 chrysler 300 on the list...who trades in a 1 year old car for 4,500? I still have yet to see evidence to support this list.
Ever been in an 08 Chrysler 300? $4500 is doing well used...what a heap of crap.
:tongue:

who would do such a thing

make no sence for them to do such a thing theses cars today will never have such value the x is one of a kind a legend:mad:

who would do such a thing

make no since for them to do such a thing these cars today will never have such value the x is one of a kind a legend:mad:

Know this is an old thread, but happy to report that we broke the news verifying that no GNX was harmed in the misguided farce called "Cash for Clunkers." See: GNX Registry Confirms No Buick GNX Vehicles Destroyed Under "Cash for Clunkers" Program. Full breakout of the supposed ASC cars along with the Turbo Buick Regals destroyed is provided below:

www.GNXRegistry.ORG then click on “News and Events”

All the best and Happy New Year,
Doug