GnX Apollo

rwcarnut

No it's not a Nova :D
Hello to everone, I thought I would introduce myself and my project. I am a carnut and LOVE to do electical wiring.;) My current project and the reason for cleaning out some of my herd is a 1974 Buick Apollo. Plans are to get as carried away as the budget will allow. My concept is kind of a phantom muscle car on steroids. The 2 dr Apollo was only made from 73-74, and the only the GsX was an option, well since I will be installing a Turbo Buick V6 I thought I would pay respect to one of the baddest cars ever made and brand it a GnX. If you don't know what a Gnx is I might be on the wrong board :p Sorry for only 1 sad pic, but I am in the process of trying to get a new workshop built so I can have lots of fun.

So far sitting in storage:

The Car
Drive train (original hot air 3.8 turbo V6 engine converted to Intercooled)
4.1 V6 to build for stage II
Ford Powerstroke intercooler
Grand National interior
Full polished Torque Thrust II
17x7 w/245 45 17 and 17x9.5 w/275 40 17 (I know kinda small, but I'm kinda old school)

Plans and Dreams:

Lots of cash to spend
GsX stripes
C5 brakes front and rear
ATS tall spindles
adjustable control arms
rack and pinion steering
narrowed and tucked bumpers
lots of powered coated black trim
coil overs front and rear
some kind of home brewed linked rear
Lots and Lots of sanding
etc....If I give out any more info I may have to kill you :biggrin:
Anyway thanks for stopping by and feel free to leave any feedback.
impala.jpg

Ditch the 17" torque thrust.

go with either a 15" Cragar or Slotted Mag.

17s are way to modern for an appropriate muscle car tribute.

Wicked cool car though, always wanted a ventura.

A.j.

You could always call it a GNsx paying tribute to both. I'm kinda in agreement with AJ though. There are MUCH better wheel options out there and they won't be as coppied.

slotted mags definitely. i wish i could post a picture of my '78 lark here you coould see exactly what i'm talking about. even though it's rough they still look good on it.

15" inch Buick Rally's like on the GS cars of that vintage would be a great look too and keep it more "sleeper". We had an Apollo GSX in my local pull a part that I pulled the grille out of. Resold it. Car is pretty much a carcass now with nothing left. Good luck with your project!

Yep I know what an Apollo is. It's a knock off of the Nova. With a few external sheet metal differences and a few interior cosmetic differences. But it's a Nova though and though. Omega did the same thing in '73, Ventura in '71. Nova started this body style in '68.

N.o.v.a. stands for:

Nova
Omega
Ventura
Apollo

Seriously, good to see something different.

I've got a Nova myself. I am kind of thinking one day putting a turbo 6 in it. As for now it had a typical 350 Chevy that runs good.

15" inch Buick Rally's like on the GS cars of that vintage would be a great look too and keep it more "sleeper". We had an Apollo GSX in my local pull a part that I pulled the grille out of. Resold it. Car is pretty much a carcass now with nothing left. Good luck with your project!

It is actually sitting on a set of 15" rally's right know and they do look good.:cool: I have also been kicking around the idea of having some machined in a larger size, I saw some on a full size in one of the street rod mags, or maybe some BBS style black centers to go with the GNX theme?:confused:

American Racing makes the slotted mags in 17" now. Keep the retro look with modern performance.

It is actually sitting on a set of 15" rally's right know and they do look good.:cool: I have also been kicking around the idea of having some machined in a larger size

Stockton or Wheel Vintiques can do that for you.