GNX #498 for sale, stock or mod.

LC2 ROD

The original LC2 ROD
So nobody wanted GNX #498 that was for sale on Ebay. Do you think if it was in stock trim without the mods it would sell? I thought it would have sold. It could be finished back to stock with little effort at this point. Its a very solid car that has been enjoyed, but not trashed. New PPG paint and fresh power. The owner has just moved on to some bigger projects. At this point Ill just finish the car then he can sell it. How about some feed back on this. Thanks.

The owner of this car may be interested in a trade plus cash for a low mile TR, I could pass on info. Thanks.

where is the car located

is it in Phx,AZ ?
I spoke to a guy in Az, and he was VERY OPTOMISTIC in his pricing,
( read that way out of line!)
I have a 13k mile GN, 100% original, and this guy wanted 35k cash and my GN. I thought that was very funny, but I wished him good luck.

is it in Phx,AZ ?
I spoke to a guy in Az, and he was VERY OPTOMISTIC in his pricing,
( read that way out of line!)
I have a 13k mile GN, 100% original, and this guy wanted 35k cash and my GN. I thought that was very funny, but I wished him good luck.

What would you say a 81,XXX mile GNX with fresh powertrain and quality paint be worth? What would you say your car is worth?

his offer was for

a car that was all apart,, not fresh paint,
modded, etc,etc,
the value of his GNX was questionable, as how many parts were original, and the real value of a GNX is in its originality, not a modified one!
to each his own,
my 13k mi GN is for sale now for $27500, would you like to buy it?

So nobody wanted GNX #498 that was for sale on Ebay. Do you think if it was in stock trim without the mods it would sell? I thought it would have sold. It could be finished back to stock with little effort at this point. Its a very solid car that has been enjoyed, but not trashed. New PPG paint and fresh power. The owner has just moved on to some bigger projects. At this point Ill just finish the car then he can sell it. How about some feed back on this. Thanks.

Since you asked, I think that 498 has the potential to be a super nice car, but fresh paint with mere reassembly / reinstallation of worn, non-stock, or non-show quality components does not make a $50K or $60K car. Plus, it's still a high-miles car no matter what. Conversely, if everything were gone over from stem to stern and refinished to a high standard, then you'd have something and the 80K miles wouldn't matter as much-- after all, it's first and foremost about condition (we've all seen 60K mile cars look like 20K, and vice-versa).

As I mentioned to you before in PM, I think the failure of the auction is primarily due to the "in between" status of this car. It's not an honest "unrestored driver" and it's not a garage queen, either. Let's face it-- she's an abandoned restoration which still needs reassembly and cosmetic work to get it "back" to even be enjoyed at the local show-'n-shine which presents a dilemma-- redo everything (except the paint) or button it up and enjoy now?

The bolt-on mods do not scare me personally, but the importance of having the original block, trans, and original turbo cannot be overestimated.

In addition, the description was not sufficient to determine exactly the extent of intervention/redo that would be needed by the potential new owner. And the pictures did not support the "90% restored..." claim unless you were referring to a "paint job only" restoration. I think if the car were detailed carefully and stock components were reassembled to a reasonable standard, you'd have no problem getting the $40K, and probably a fair amount more.

In the end, having a complete, driving car will help a lot. And if it takes such little effort ("90% restored...") then finish the job and relist it-- you'll probably have much more success. She's a fine car, I'm sure, but the rest of her needs to reasonably approach the condition of the body and paint at this point.

Good luck!

Rod,
I agree with Doug 100%. Many potential buyers are scared away by an incomplete restoration with a partially assembled car. The saying goes, "why take on someone else's problem." I am not saying that is the case here...

Whether it is a project at work or a project around the house, it is the details involved in completing the proverbial "last 10%" of a job that could seem to take longer than the project itself. I am not questioning the quality of work that was done to this GNX, but at the same time, one has to expect that hammering out the last few items not completed by the previous undertaking may lead to going through the car again to see just exactly what was done.

A rebuilt engine, etc. is not the end of the world (as long as there is paperwork to go with it). Bolt-ons can be removed and factory stuff can be re-installed. It is even better when the original stuff that was removed, is included in the sale. It would make the most sense to complete the project in its entirety and then place it for sale. All the while noting that it is an 81K mi GNX with modifications that went through a recent restoration. I don't know that when complete it would fetch the same price as the 17K mi untouched GNX I saw for sale recently. Just my $0.02.

Thanks cruzn57, Doug and Anthony, great input and all good points. The owner of this car is still on board to complete the project. I feel the best way to go is reassemble to as close to stock as possible. That way it will be a running drive anywhere GNX, yes it wont be a show queen but the high dollar stuff will have allready been done I.E. paint work, engine and trans rebuild. any other stuff that is performed can be done in segments. This GNX has all the original parts accept the trans that was replaced with a GM replacement, most likely a warranty repair way back when. I saw plenty of GNs, TRs and GNXs get new transmissions under warranty, I installed many myself. You will most likely see this car running soon as a very nice driver. Thanks.

a car that was all apart,, not fresh paint,
modded, etc,etc,
the value of his GNX was questionable, as how many parts were original, and the real value of a GNX is in its originality, not a modified one!
to each his own,
my 13k mi GN is for sale now for $27500, would you like to buy it?

Thanks for the input, Ill pass on the GN but thanks for the offer. Im more of a TR guy myself.

for what its worth..

I have GNX #163, it has 60k mi, drove it sunday to a Buick meet,
there were 3 GNX there!!! all driven!
I'm selling the lo mi GN cause its no fun not being able to drive it.
tha value is in the lo miles and condition,
( I have 2 other TR's so its not like I have to drive the GNX all the time)
I feel the car will be easier to sell all together, the more original the better.
but that only applies to GNX, or lo mile GN, TR,
good luck!