gnttype.org tech articles not for beginners

LosOjos

I just finished a frustrating, multi-hour job fixing my "sagging doors" as per the article on gnttype.org. This is the third or fourth project I've undertaken based on gnttype.org articles. I don't know if it's that I'm a new "shade-tree mechanic," or what (I'm fairly mechanicly inclined), but every single project has take 3 times longer that estimated and been 5 times harder than implied by the article. I've followed other articles, such as the shifer install on turbobuicknewsletter.com (but I used a B&M Pro Stick) with great ease. I'm not really looking for any help, just a place to vent and gripe. Thanks. Sorry if I made anyone's ears (or eyes) bleed.

Ok... so for future projects, take the estimated time x 3. :)

To play devil's advocate to your line of thought.... where would we first time TR owners be without places like tb.com and gnttype.org? :eek:

Kept you out of trouble while you were working on it though!

;)

FWIW, it takes me a long time too. But I end up standing around smoking and thinking about it more than being busy.

Originally posted by John Larkin
FWIW, it takes me a long time too. But I end up standing around smoking and thinking about it more than being busy.

Me too, but it's not the standing around smoking. It's the looking for the tool or other thing that was in my way just the other day but now is no nowhere to be found.

Spent half the morning today looking for a roll of capillary tubing that I knew damn well I had but just didn't know where. Turned out it was hanging on peg board in the garage. Or the package was. The tubing itself had fallen out of the package and beneath the engine hoist. Once I found the tubing, I could get on with filling my FP gauge with antifreeze.

Another 15 minute job turned into 2 hours......I don't think it's gnttype.org's fault.

Jim

... or fishing the damn tool out of where you dropped it.

15 minutes to do the job and then an hour tryng to fish the tool (or nut, or washer, or screw, or bolt) out of where you dropped it! :)

Originally posted by kenmosher
15 minutes to do the job and then an hour tryng to fish the tool (or nut, or washer, or screw, or bolt) out of where you dropped it! :)

Ding Ding Ding! Been there about a hundred times. Gravity is not my friend! :eek:

Gnttype tech pages are very good compared to other marque web sites I've seen. We are lucky to have them :)

Mike [:)

After you do these type repairs a few times, you may be close to the time quoted :) . I always think about how much $$ I have saved and the extra time I spent was learning and doing the job well. You might not get that at a dealership or garage and you have the satisfaction of doing the job yourself.

Our group of TR owners work together and I learn something every time I help out or someone looks at or works on my car. I know I would now be faster at work such as fp install and hotwire, changing injectors, rear main seal, header R&R, fluid changes, etc. And a year ago I had not even done this type work.

I don't think I have ever done any work without looking at gnttype or their archives, searching or posting here, or getting advice from local TR friends. These websites are invaluable. Just be glad the people that wrote the repair article quoted low times--it's because that's probably how long it takes them because of their experience and knowledge. You wouldn't want me writing the articles yet :D. Remember, the glass is half full :eek:

I'm not just talking about the time the projects take, but the difficulty involved in most of them. I love the support available to tr owners (this message board for example). I've followed many other articles with great ease, it just seems that the gnttype.org articles are too abbriviated and made to look more simple than they are.

Job well done!! It works right?? Difficulty on jobs is a little objective. Don't be concerned with time, you did it with care for all the little details right?? My opinion is NOBODY cares about your car as much as you!! Do it yourself (time consuming as it may be) and feel confident that it was done right!!

Mike

The articles over there are a bit simplistic at times. I always print them out anyway and use them in conjuction with a post over here looking for all the little details that people are very happy to share with you.

Get all the info. you can.

Once you do the job you can make suggestions or rewrite an article for posting yourself.

Ken Mosher can probably help you out. He is always looking for new writers and submissions. :)

I'm mechanically DEclined but was able to replace my valve springs, TCC solonoid, and heater core following gnttype's instructions. Yeah, it took me longer than they said, but I usually doubble the time qouted on ANY project of any sort that I do.
Oh yea, what do I do with those extra little parts Ialways have laying around when I'm done? :confused: