GN style head swap... yet another question.

turbows6

I wonder if it would be possible to run a GN style aluminum head in a TTA if you notched and boxed in the frame rail where the downpipe crosses between the header and framerail? I'm sure you could notch the rail and add at least 1" of clearance as long as the quality of the "boxing" was good. I just don't know how much wider the GN head and header is.

My car currently has a 3" downpipe, but there is probably 1/4" clearance MAYBE 3/8", so I already know the issue of having very little room to work with on these cars.

I'm just thinking out loud, and I know there have been some guys (Grumpy, maybe?) that have dropped GN style engines down into a TTA. Was there even CLOSE to enough room for a dowpipe going between the header and frame rail?

You can run GN heads under two instances.

1) Use GN heads, gn headers, gn crossover, gn downpipe, AND remove the AC box.
2) Use GN heads, gn headers, gn crossover, keep the AC box and run a custom down pipe either forward or transverse mount the turbo (which would require another set of headers...)

Jason

That is great info to know. I was wondering that same thing.

You can run GN heads under two instances.

1) Use GN heads, gn headers, gn crossover, gn downpipe, AND remove the AC box.
2) Use GN heads, gn headers, gn crossover, keep the AC box and run a custom down pipe either forward or transverse mount the turbo (which would require another set of headers...)

Jason

I would go with custom headers an Dp but you would have to find a Heater box like i have to have heat if u take off the a/c

Scott what kind of heater box do you have??

Jason are you saying if I remove the ac box I could run all GN set up without notching the frame??

I have the GTA heater box that came on cars with no ac

youll have to looks at Dan's stage 2 TTA to see my heater box ... i bought it from him