GN issues

Rocketman442

I'm having a few '87 GN issues and am in need of some suggestions. Specs are listed below.

First, when I stab the gas from a roll I'm experiencing a substantial bog. It is most noticable from ~ 3000rpm roll like 30 mph in first or 50 mph in second when manually held in 1 or 2. It appears to be going lean in the instant it sees WOT. When quickly but gradually rolling in to WOT it doesn't occur. T-link is consistently spot on so I've ruled out the tune. During bog fuel press drops a couple of #s from static. I haven't had the gumption to stay in it, but, at its worst it seems that once it starts bogging it won't stop until I get out of it. It varies in severity, sometimes only like a stumble. I recently reset the base idle to no avail. It is fine when left to d/shift on its own or when launched from a 5-7 psi dig. All other driveability aspects are great. The car is currently running stock t/c but a Vigilante is going in in a few weeks.

Second, the 1-2 shift seems to be delayed, or, it's going flat in the top of first. Again, T-link isn't pointing out anything abnormal. Maybe tranny? It'll wind up to ~5300, leave you hanging and upon hitting 2nd it goes like hell.

Third, I've thus far kept the tune pretty conservative. Even with 21 psi I'm only seeing O2 v around .800-.830 and no KR to speak of. I'd like some input as to increasing boost and/or timing. If I don't see low O2 v or more than a couple of deg of KR, will the head gskts live on pump gas?

Thank you all in advance and my compliments on a great site!
---------------------------------------------------------------
PT51(21 psi), stk type adj. w/g, ATR d/p, ATR 3" duals, 42.5 #, LT1 MAF, Trans +, Hot wired Walbro 307, Jay Carter chip, FP=38 static, 55 @ WOT.

T-link data: TPS=.43-4.75, O2=.800-.830, ESC=0-2, BLM=128, INT=128, LV8=255, MAF=508 g/s, KR=0-2(only saw KR of 2 on two of ten runs and only during shift).

IMO the stock converter is marginal with a PT51...some say it works fine but going from my experience it was a dog when I had the 51...could be the conv was on it's way out in my case but I put in a 9/11 3200 stall and big difference...quick spool and could basically shred the tires...as for the 1-2 shift could be the tranny but first make sure you're filling the trans 1 quart over full...fuel pressure dropping under WOT indicates a problem...could be just a clogged fuel filter...but could be the pump...check the trans fluid...change the fuel filter...wait for the conv...and see what happens...

"I recently reset the base idle to no avail."
How did you reset the idle? The idle speed in gear & in park/neutral is controlled by the chip.

If you used the screw to the driver side of the doghouse, then you have messed up the IAC counts and this won't help the problem. You will need to reset the IAC and get it in range again.

Have you done the "Spring Cleaning" yet?
Have you checked the cam sensor & made sure it is set right. If 180* out it can causes strange things to happen.

I will leave the LT1 & T+ to others to address.

Gary

You mentioned shifting manually........5300 is obviously too high if, as you said, you feel as though you're not going anywhere. With my car, I just put it in drive and let it shift itself. 4800 to 5000 is fine for me. Never stops pulling. I tried shifting manually at the track and I went slower.

MSDGN: I am going to wait for the conv before I get too excited. Tranny is not over filled so I'll try that. Also, f/p is ok. It only drops slightly when it bogs as described. Otherwise it's steady. I'll see what happens w/the Vigilante.

Black Car: I removed the IAC, cleaned it and the t/b and set the idle to 525 in Drive with the IAC disconnected. I then erased the ECM memory, then drove the car at 45 mph for a while so the IAC could reset. All looked good on the T-link afterwards. IAC counts were a little low but within range. I've yet to check the cam sensor but it has been in the back of my mind.

Red Regal T: I am not shifting the car manually. When I was tuning the car I wanted to see how it performed from a roll so I left it in first (and again in 2nd) to check that. That's when I first encountered the bog. It doesn't bog if left in drive, just alot of lag. The car shifts itself at 5300 according to T-link. The 2-3 also happens at 5300 and feels great.

Thanks.

Could be in the chip. 009 injectors are known to be difficult with the off idle stumble.

To the top. I'm tearing into this thing this weekend and could use some input. I'm beginning to think you don't like Old's guys...:D