GN gas tank in 80 regal

SmooveG

Are these tanks the same size? I have the kirban tank straps and am about
an inch from being home on the front straps. my car didn't have the rubber
cusions under the straps so maybe these be keeping me from tightening?
I've got the tank tight and dont want to crank on the bolts anymore for fear of damage. anyone else have this happen?

G

I have yet to mess with my tank, but I would try it without the rubber... maybe use flat strips of rubber instead, like a tire tube or something... just in case. I don`t think mine has them either.

gas tank

I put a 87 tank into 1982 regal and had no problems but i had to put nuts on top of the long bolts the clips were to rusty but it works.

Rock Auto is great for questions like this. Click on a part number and they list all cars it fits. The tank straps are the same from 1978 to 1987.

Any time I have removed and reinstalled a tank with new straps, the straps always seem to come up about an inch or so short. I just think they need to be streched out from their factory bends.

I have yet to mess with my tank, but I would try it without the rubber... maybe use flat strips of rubber instead, like a tire tube or something... just in case. I don`t think mine has them either.

I'm think you're on to it. Our 78-80 cars came without the rubber and it's keeping the bolts about an inch from home. I'll try without it