GN elec fan on a Cutlass...

231_natural

How much is involved to install an electric fan setup off a GN onto a n/a 3.8 with no computer in an 83 Cutlass Supreme. Will the fan bolt right on? How is the fan controlled...electrically? Does the fan come on and stay on at the same speed or does it vary speed depending on temp?

I tried a search on electric fan setup but couldn't find much. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

An electric fan can be controlled with a temp switch or a toggle switch. Your choice. As far as a puter your 83 has one but it won't control the fan.

So looking at a GN fan there is one plug on the fan. Is all that is required for wiring from the plug to a temp switch screwed into the intake manifold?

There's a lot more involved that that. The temp switch has a small amount of power to it and it goes to a relay. The relay goes from the battery to the the fan. This will allow the relay to be triggered and turn on the fan. Much more complicated than just a toggle switch.

okay so the thermal switch is in the manifold and sends a signal to a relay that turns the fan on and off. Doesn't really sound all that complicated. They are two speed fans though so there must be two relays? Anyone know? By the way there is no computer in my 83 Cutlass.

okay so the thermal switch is in the manifold and sends a signal to a relay that turns the fan on and off. Doesn't really sound all that complicated. They are two speed fans though so there must be two relays? Anyone know? By the way there is no computer in my 83 Cutlass.

Finding a two pin on and off sensor with the right temps and a location to put it in your intake will be the biggest problem. If you can do this then the rest should be easy.