GN and Regal uni-body.. whats it worth??

Ryder4864

So I have this 1985 Regal Limited. I have no title for it, so I've decided to part it out. I've found someone that wants just the uni-body. The car is a t-top and it is in fairly nice shape. There is some, not much, rust... no rot. The person doesn't want anything but the uni-body with the glass... no fenders, drive train, interior, frame, wheels, etc... just the cab of the car and a set of t-tops.

So my questions are:
1. How much is this worth?
2. Are there differences between the Regal and GN uni-body cabs?
3. After everything is removed, are they heavy to lift off the frame? Could a few guys lift it?
4. The car is currently complete... do I have a lot of work a head of me?
5. Are there any parts from the car that are worth selling once this is sold?
6. I have another Regal with a rotted frame, is it worth putting that cab on this good frame?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I appreciate the input. I hope that I put this in the right forum. If I decide not to fix up my other Regal, I'll have a lot of parts to sell.. you can expect some ads for them near the middle of May. Thanks!

Ryder4864 said:
So I have this 1985 Regal Limited. I have no title for it, so I've decided to part it out. I've found someone that wants just the uni-body. The car is a t-top and it is in fairly nice shape. There is some, not much, rust... no rot. The person doesn't want anything but the uni-body with the glass... no fenders, drive train, interior, frame, wheels, etc... just the cab of the car and a set of t-tops.

So my questions are:
1. How much is this worth?
2. Are there differences between the Regal and GN uni-body cabs?
3. After everything is removed, are they heavy to lift off the frame? Could a few guys lift it?
4. The car is currently complete... do I have a lot of work a head of me?
5. Are there any parts from the car that are worth selling once this is sold?
6. I have another Regal with a rotted frame, is it worth putting that cab on this good frame?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I appreciate the input. I hope that I put this in the right forum. If I decide not to fix up my other Regal, I'll have a lot of parts to sell.. you can expect some ads for them near the middle of May. Thanks!

(1) I once had one. Had to pay a wrecking yard $50 to haul it away...I kept the frame, fenders etc.

(2) Gn's are Regals. They're the same body. (GN was a package added to a Regal model.)

(3) Very heavy. I used a 1000 lb cherry picker on mine and still was able to only lift one end at a time.

(4) Lots of work I would think. Although taking crap off is faster than putting it back together.

(5) I guess if someone were to want na stuff. Body parts will be the same so should be worth something.

(6) I had to produce a title to get rid of my body so if you don't have a title you may have problems registering a rebuilt car. That would be a question for your local authorities who handle rebuilds.

I have a title for my other Regal, and the person buying this part from me knows that the car no title.

To strip it down completely you have a ton of work ahead of you. Stripping an N/A interior out is doing half the work for the buyer already (sounds like they're going to re-vin it to put on a T-frame using their old vin), and most of the parts you kept from the interior will be hard to sell. The lower door panels have different carpet (thicker pile) than a regular t would usually have in an 85, the uppers arent even valuable to a t-limited person because they dont have the silver panels, seats, again, low demand for the pillowtop bench stuff, columns arent high demand if theyre not floor shift, you get the idea. Weight will be up there, probably in the 1000-1200 pound range even stripped, and figure in addition to the body mounts you need to remove the exhaust, gas tank, disconnect the brake system, strip the front clip and undo the wiring harnesses.....

If you're really good you can unbolt and pull a whole interior in about 4-6 hrs work, if you are used to working on the cars. First time, finding tool sizes and finding the hidden locations of all the fasteners, figure double that.

taking apart the undercarrage stuff and the misc mechanicals interfaced with the body (evac-ing the a/c, draining radiator to disconnect heater core, blah blah blah) figure another 6 hours easy.

The rest like the front sheetmetal and body mounts (especially facing rusted/breaking retainer clips that spin for some panels) to seperate it from the rest of the sub structure figure a conservative 10 hours or so.

Whats your time worth to you? Scrap here is selling for $150/ton delivered, so take that price if you bring the shell down for metal, then add your deserved hourly wage & aggravation.

Well, I wouldn't mind doing this. I've always wanted to tear a car into pieces to see how it works and what not. Plus the guy is paying me $150 upfront for a deposit and then an additional $150 at pick up. Sounds like he's in dire need of a t-top uni-body. I also asked a friend of mine to help me tear it down, so it should be a fun project for us to do. The guy isn't demanding this any time soon, he will probably come and get it near the end of May or June. I also got an email from him asking for the rear bumper fillers to go with it, but I've sold a pair before on eBay for $80, so I don't think that they will be included in the original $300 deal. If he wants them, he'll have to pay for them.