GN 8.5 rear freshen up

87lc2/wo2

Hi,

How would I go about refreshening the 8.5 rear? First, I'd like to replace the axle bearings and seals, but after looking at most drive line specialty shops online for parts, they have "differential repair kits" and the master kit includes everything I need, but I just want to get the axle seals and bearings only. Does anyone recommend replacing the differential carrier bearings? Should I go with the master rebuild kit? Lastly, all I have are the drums, and backing plates for the brakes. Is the 7.5 10 bolt off a Monte SS the same as far as the shoes, wheel cylinders, and brake hardware? :confused:

Hi,

How would I go about refreshening the 8.5 rear? First, I'd like to replace the axle bearings and seals, but after looking at most drive line specialty shops online for parts, they have "differential repair kits" and the master kit includes everything I need, but I just want to get the axle seals and bearings only. Does anyone recommend replacing the differential carrier bearings? Should I go with the master rebuild kit? Lastly, all I have are the drums, and backing plates for the brakes. Is the 7.5 10 bolt off a Monte SS the same as far as the shoes, wheel cylinders, and brake hardware? :confused:

Just order the outer bearings, races and seals.... heck, if the races are in good shape then leave them alone.. sometimes they are a real PITA to remove.

Yes, all the backing plates and other stuff ftom the 7.5/7.625 will interchange.

If you get deep into opening the cover and the center section you may have issues with the differential cross-shaft retaining bolt breaking off in the carrier.

Rob,
Thanks for the info. Yeah, gonna put the tranny, driveshaft and the 8.5 rear end (all from the parts car, 86 GN) into the Monte. As far as the TR, my powermaster is history. I heard about your conversion. I got all the parts including a new master, the correct brake pedal, vacuum block, rotors, SSBC quick change calipers, but just no one to assist me with it. I got all the stuff to make it to a floor shift, but same excuse, just lazy, lol.

Rob,
Thanks for the info. Yeah, gonna put the tranny, driveshaft and the 8.5 rear end (all from the parts car, 86 GN) into the Monte. As far as the TR, my powermaster is history. I heard about your conversion. I got all the parts including a new master, the correct brake pedal, vacuum block, rotors, SSBC quick change calipers, but just no one to assist me with it. I got all the stuff to make it to a floor shift, but same excuse, just lazy, lol.

I've got some funky days off now but if you give me some advance notice we can get together and do the fun stuff...

If youre going to put the LC2 into the MCSS I hope you took everything including the AC evap box and the motor mounts to the frame...

Not hard, just time consuming... LMK...

Actually I'm preparing to put all the drive train (trans, drive shaft and 8.5 rear) behind the L69 until I can finally install the other motor (chevy 400) I'll be putting in the MCSS, hopefully in the near future. As for the complete LC2 from the 86 GN, I still have that sitting nestled on a wood cradle with wheels. I currently having second thoughts on rebuilding the BRF transmission & torque converter because it appears to look okay. As far as the u-joints on the drive shaft, I want to get that done for sure. I'm currently on leave until mid September. Thanks Rob for always willing to lend a hand, and its fortunate to know the "Ambassador" for Hawaii G body gurus, lol. I've seen some amazing stuff you had done to help on "Paradisecruisers" website. Again, thank you for your Hospitality.
I still have a lot of parts like the Maf Translator & LT1 mas air flow sensor, and other parts, let me know if "I" can help you in any way.

Sincerly,
Dale

Actually I'm preparing to put all the drive train (trans, drive shaft and 8.5 rear) behind the L69 until I can finally install the other motor (chevy 400) I'll be putting in the MCSS, hopefully in the near future. As for the complete LC2 from the 86 GN, I still have that sitting nestled on a wood cradle with wheels. I currently having second thoughts on rebuilding the BRF transmission & torque converter because it appears to look okay. As far as the u-joints on the drive shaft, I want to get that done for sure. I'm currently on leave until mid September. Thanks Rob for always willing to lend a hand, and its fortunate to know the "Ambassador" for Hawaii G body gurus, lol. I've seen some amazing stuff you had done to help on "Paradisecruisers" website. Again, thank you for your Hospitality.
I still have a lot of parts like the Maf Translator & LT1 mas air flow sensor, and other parts, let me know if "I" can help you in any way.

Sincerly,
Dale

You've helped me a lott too bro.. Always glad to give a fellow gearhead a hand.

You sell your T?

Still got the T, I put in the springs, front sway bar , headliner and GN seats (back & front) from the 86 GN. Can't remember how long it's been, but the last time I worked on it, I installed was a set of Metco aluminum LCA's, a red UMI rear sway bar & drive shaft safety loop, TurboBuicks.com's mini starter, G-Body parts powdercoated "black" bumpers (front & back), H&R's transmission mount. Lol, my 18 month yr old son's room is filled with parts yet to be installed: Pypes stainless cat-back w/mufflers, 4 new Weld Prostars 15x8 w/ open end lug nuts, mickey thompson street drag radials, front mickey thompson tires, a new OEM rear spoiler, new headlight bezels, 3 GN emblems, UMI "red" adjustable uppers, a T/A 8.5 girdle, new GM Oem door seals, outer dew sweeps, 2 sets of UMI "red" rear adjustable frame braces, four new headlights, cross drilled and slotted front rotors, new front bearings and seals, russell stainless steel brake lines which are all in boxes with shipping labels taking of the whole room. I'm expecting another child (second child), so I'm just taking care of my wife who's about to give labor anytime now (yikes-36 weeks so far).
The Monte is with me at my townhouse in Kunia awaiting a B&M supercooler install because the bottom radiator cooler line snapped while trying to loosen it. So its down as well. Just my luck with cars I guess, Lol. I ordered new stainless steel trans cooler lines for the Monte which hopefully will be coming in, but a someone told me it's near to impossible to install with the motor in. Again, just my luck. Lastly, the Pypes exhaust pipe going over the driver's side of the rear axle is rubbing the axle. Fittment issues. Maybe it's time to put the tools away for awhile.

Still got the T, I put in the springs, front sway bar , headliner and GN seats (back & front) from the 86 GN. Can't remember how long it's been, but the last time I worked on it, I installed was a set of Metco aluminum LCA's, a red UMI rear sway bar & drive shaft safety loop, TurboBuicks.com's mini starter, G-Body parts powdercoated "black" bumpers (front & back), H&R's transmission mount. Lol, my 18 month yr old son's room is filled with parts yet to be installed: Pypes stainless cat-back w/mufflers, 4 new Weld Prostars 15x8 w/ open end lug nuts, mickey thompson street drag radials, front mickey thompson tires, a new OEM rear spoiler, new headlight bezels, 3 GN emblems, UMI "red" adjustable uppers, a T/A 8.5 girdle, new GM Oem door seals, outer dew sweeps, 2 sets of UMI "red" rear adjustable frame braces, four new headlights, cross drilled and slotted front rotors, new front bearings and seals, russell stainless steel brake lines which are all in boxes with shipping labels taking of the whole room. I'm expecting another child (second child), so I'm just taking care of my wife who's about to give labor anytime now (yikes-36 weeks so far).
The Monte is with me at my townhouse in Kunia awaiting a B&M supercooler install because the bottom radiator cooler line snapped while trying to loosen it. So its down as well. Just my luck with cars I guess, Lol. I ordered new stainless steel trans cooler lines for the Monte which hopefully will be coming in, but a someone told me it's near to impossible to install with the motor in. Again, just my luck. Lastly, the Pypes exhaust pipe going over the driver's side of the rear axle is rubbing the axle. Fittment issues. Maybe it's time to put the tools away for awhile.

Holy crap... someone's been shopping! :biggrin:

yep, installing the cooler lines with the motor in the car...no way... I had to pull mine back out when I realized it wasnt going in that way... PITA.

Get yourself a douple flare kit for the tubing and make a repair section for the trans cooler line for now (buy some extra tubing and practice... took me a few tries to get the hang of it.)

Or hell... rubber line!

Going to bypass the radiator trans cooler, and cut the corroded pipe with my cutting wheel tool, then utilize rubber hose. The kit came with 4 feet of hose, but I know for sure I'm gonna need more. Do you know what local auto parts store carries this type of hose? I'll probably go to Waipahu transmission. Lol, got carried away listing all the parts just staring back at me during the vacation.

Thanks, Dale

Going to bypass the radiator trans cooler, and cut the corroded pipe with my cutting wheel tool, then utilize rubber hose. The kit came with 4 feet of hose, but I know for sure I'm gonna need more. Do you know what local auto parts store carries this type of hose? I'll probably go to Waipahu transmission. Lol, got carried away listing all the parts just staring back at me during the vacation.

Thanks, Dale

I use FI rated fuel hose and use double clamps.. it will get you by till you get the motor out... then you can put your new ones in...