GN 1 k-lines Guides

geno

9sec 17MPG Street Car
Staff member
Im i the only one that replaces these every year:confused: I talked to Tom before and he said im the only one he has ever heard of with valve guide problems.:rolleyes: Is it just because the guide hangs down in the exhaust port with no boss around it to sink some of the heat out off it? It seems like the oil chokes up the steem and start eating up the K-line. Should i just consider it to be the nature of the beast..

http://www.netSnapShot.com/users/2412/images/PH3SHsCoBQIAAAZ5JdE_2412_268.pjpeg

When you put the new guides in, dont taper them at the bottom and dont let them hang into the port as far, this is a common problem an the s2 heads as well when using a turbo. I have done this on all the aluminum heads we install and it has cured the problem. I learned the hard way after trashing 2 $1300 turbos with valve guide material

Bill,
What kind of material are you using for exhaust guides? The bronze lined types that are in the Champions or a solid bronze type ?

Paul Thompson

Gene,

I've seen the exact same problem. My own heads had 3500 miles on them +or- and the exhaust guides were wasted. Another set of Champions we removed from a motor with 1500 miles were measuring .007" clearance too.

After checking with several sources we came to the conclusion that the steel guides with the bronze K-line liners are crap. I spoke with Tom at Champion about the problem and he said he hadn't heard of it before (No surprise there).

Keep in mind this isn't a rocker arm geometry problem or a rocker arm problem. One of the sets of heads had T&D rockers and the others had Scorpion rockers. Both motors had the rocker geometry set up at build time.

When I bought a new set of Champions since the old ones cracked (No surprise again) the first thing I did was knock out all the exhaust guides and replace them with good quality Silicon Bronze guides.

It's just a case of poor material/hardware selection for the application. Something along the lines of the "Budget Roller" cam fiasco but not nearly as fatal to your motor.

Neal

Originally posted by EightSecV6
When you put the new guides in, dont taper them at the bottom and dont let them hang into the port as far, this is a common problem an the s2 heads as well when using a turbo. I have done this on all the aluminum heads we install and it has cured the problem. I learned the hard way after trashing 2 $1300 turbos with valve guide material

How much do you leave hanging out ? You said you dont let then hang out as far as Champion does.I had thought of that but didnt like the fact of less guide support but i would trim it back a bit if i knew how far back to go and be safe.

Neal
How far are your guides hanging out? I know the first set of Champion heads had Bronze guides and took out my friends turbo. Needless to say Tom helped him out and sent him the new k-line guides and he had to eat the turbo repair ( Thanks alot) I told Tom other people had guide problems and he said the people on the internet are a bunch of piss and whinners....Now that showed so real class and good costumer support....

Gene,

I read Bill's response to your question and I think he was referring to the original problem Champion had with the disintegrating guides. I had this same problem years ago in a turbo VW application. Cheap guides with questionable metalurgy.

My response was in reference to the excessive wear problem with the replacement steel guides with the k-line liners. When we replaced the steel guides with a silicon bronze guide (of good quality) we installed them at the same depth etc. as the originals.

Neal

What we did was use solid bronze guides,longer than needed and cut them down removing ALL of the taper at the bottom which put the guide into the port about .300, this same setup has worked well for us on the S2 head too.
Bill

What we did was use solid bronze guides,longer than needed and cut them down removing ALL of the taper at the bottom which put the guide into the port about .300, this same setup has worked well for us on the S2 head too.
Bill

Why do you cut all the taper off, or are you just giving that as a reference to how far you cut them?

Because the taper makes them thin at the bottom and they will break off and go through the turbo

Exactly what I was wondering. Thanks Bill.