GM Top Engine Cleaner issue

BuickMike231

60% of the time, it works every time.
Hey guys, I hope you all can help out with this. I saw over on gnttype.org there was a little thing about using this GM Top Engine Cleaner and how it got alot of carbon and junk out of the engines. I stopped and grabbed some on the way home from work today and put it in just like the website instructed. Once the white smoke started rolling out of the exhaust, two things caught my eye. One, there was some smoke coming out of where the turbo and downpipe meet, I'm assuming that could just be a loose bolt or a gasket fix? Next, I saw smoke coming from the driver's side of the engine, I got scared on this one, thinking it was a head gasket. I got the flashlight out and was watching it and it looked like it was coming from the exhaust manifold, closer to the firewall, which is where they typically crack correct? Now my issue is, I let this stuff soak for like 15 minutes like was said on the website, then I fired the car back up and let it run and blow smoke like crazy for about 10-15 minutes. After it started to lighten up a bit, I figured I'd take it out for a little bit and drive it until the rest went away. I drove until it looked like it had stopped smoking almost completely then pulled it over, shut it down and restarted it just to make sure everything was cool. It fired right up, idled nice and the scanmaster number's were fine. Coming home I jumped on it a bit and the second it hit boost it fell on it's face, lost the boost, and started sputtering really bad, I almost didn't make it home. From there on getting home was under 35 mph and some times it really felt like it was stuttering and having a hard time. Did I mess up the engine with this stuff, or is it still working it's way out? Or is it really something like a blown head gasket? I'm assuming the crack in the header's been there a while and the car's never been like this as long as I've had it. Any help would be awesome, thanks guys!!!!:confused:

I was just reading a few other posts about stuttering and what not and it sounds like a couple guys said they got in a hurry and had a poor connection with a coupler to the intercooler or up pipe and that could cause the stumble too, since it's a huge leak. I am guilty of getting in a hurry too, so tomorrow I will check that too. Could it be that simple? That would be nice!

Had a similar issue after using the stuff,safe to assume you poured it in thru the uppipe while it was pointing up?Thats what I did and it loosened the Goop in the uppipe causing the inside of the silicone sleeve to get greasy,and slip or pop off the throttle body when I jumped on it.
clean the inside of the sleeve,and the area on the throttle body.I read here that a shot of hairspray helps seal and stick it better and well,it does. On the lighter side your right it does idle and run smoother after giving it a douching.Hope that your having the same easy problem I had......

Yeah I poured it through the upturned up-pipe as well, good point about it getting on the hoses, I bet I've got one or two of them not in too well. I'm going to check that out asap, that's a good idea about the hairspray too. Thanks for the quick response, and hopefully I'm as lucky as you and that's all it is!!

Just ran out with a flashlight to check the pipes, blew the up-pipe off, pretty sure that was the problem. I'll get it all back together tomorrow and report how it's going!! Thanks again.

I used that stuff sometime ago and rather than putting in the uppipe, i used a funnel and poured in through the line to the charcoal cannister pre check valve. Poured 1/2 and let it stall the motor, then poured the rest in. Went for a long lunch and then fired her up and she smoked for a good hour of driving around the city. No ill effects. Seems to run nicely.
thanks
Jim

Yep, car's back together and tightened up well:redface: and I must say it runs very well now. The Top Engine Cleaner seems like it broke enough stuff up in the heads and whatnot to actually make the car feel like it pulls a little harder in the top end now, which is awesome. I would definetly recommend this stuff!

I removed the vacuum block on top, poured it in and nothing happened. Wasted $7. I'll try it again now that I know to let it sit for a while before starting it up. Does Sea Foam work the same way? It's cheaper.

That stuff breaks up sludge and carbon.....right.

Where do you think it all goes to................:confused: