GM Oil Pickup Screen Question?

Morkai

Morkai the Red
Is this how the original pickup screen should look?

When I first saw it I thought the screen had been "sucked in" on it, but now I think that it was designed that way (concave with the dimple in the center) Just making sure I didn't need to order a new one.

Oilpickup.jpg

They don't look like that when new, but form like the one you pictured after a liitle use. I wouldn't worry---all the used ones I've dealt with are like yours. HTH. Brian

does anybody know where to get the GM pickup screen WITH the gasket??? the local parts stores don't have them...and I've heard not to use the Melling one...can I pick this up at the GM dealer or what? anybody know the part number?

parts

Do a search, I saw that info on here. That's the reason I didn't get the melling one. I think the gasket was in with the felpro pan gasket. It was in one of the gasket sets anyway.

I was just wondering if mine would be ok, or if I should get a new GM one as well.

screen

Well, I just want to know if the screen is supposed to be like that or not. If it's fine I'm not going to bother ordering one.

ive used a couple of the melling pickups, thats seems to be the problem with them?

I used the Melling one before as well and didn't have problems...but I figured I might as well do the GM one this time...I just ordered one from GM parts direct...does this come with the gasket???

Yes

In answer to your original ? Yes they look like that after being run. USE IT AS IS !!! As far as searching all over for a gasket. Buy a small piece of gasket material and cut as many as you want.

To the best of my knowledge you get one of those gaskets when you purchase a oil pan gasket... I got mine when I purchased the oil pan gasket from AutoZone:rolleyes:

gasket

85TurboTtype is correct, I double checked tonight, the pickup gasket was in with the pan gasket (felpro) from the zone. It's only like $10 even if you have a cork gasket. In case you don't get one with the pickup, which I would think you would.

Lee, thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I believe I got all the crap cleaned out of it good, so I'll reuse it. I got the rear main in tonight (what a B*tch) So I hope to button it up soon. I noticed something/someone said use blue loctite on the pickup bolts. Why not red? I don't have any blue.

Just went to the garage to open the box.
PN 25505644
Just got it from the Buick dealer for $16. The Mellings comes with a gasket. Got a new one then went to the dealer for a GM unit.

It looks exactly like your screen and it did not have a gasket, but as mentioned, one comes with the oil pan gasket.