GM lifters and a/c compressor

Phase4

Hi,

Is it generally accepted that the GM lifters are the best for a flat tappet cam?

If so, can someone tell me what the part number is please?

My recently arrived car has a 206/206 cam in it and it is really noisy from the lifters. I have yet to lift the rocker covers for a look and check. But it sounds like some lifters are bleeding down way too quickly (noticable at idle and up to 1500-2000 rpm, then it is fine).

I bought some lifters back in 190 for my GN and they are TRW ones. Are these okay to use, or should I just spring for the GM ones?

Also, can anyone tell me the P/N for the a/c compressor please.

Thanks.

Sandy

Please help just for a newbie, I intend to take the rocker covers off and check things.

I was told it is a 206/206 flat tappet cam with, I suspect, comp cam lifters. It is pretty noisy.

I am assuming that it is stock rockers and shaft. I am also assuming that in a stock setup there is no preload adjustment necessary (I changed valvesprings in my old GN back in the nineties and just slapped the rails back on and torqued them up. All this preload talk is 'worrying'. I thought the beauty of the Buick valvetrain is that it didn't need farfing with).

What should I be looking for? Pushrod movement (up and down), loose shaft, any signs of wear, etc?

I was assured that the noise wasn't much to worry about. Folk here talking about sewing machines or typewriters, but this sounds more deisel like.

If I need to pull the inlet, are there any tricks or tips to watch for? And on re-assembly, is it just the valley pan gasket required with sealant on the ends and corners?

Also, what length should stock pushrods be, and, if I buy a pushrod length checker, what sort of length should it be or cover?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sandy

If you don't have a Auto Stethoscope I would get one.
Also I had a noise(tapping) that I thought was valve train related... turned out to be the cam sensor. I replaced it and the noise is gone and the car runs better then it ever did. As a bonus my BL got right in line.

When I bought my 206 cam and lifters, both came in a plain white box. That maybe should've been a red flag for me but it was a reputable vendor here. Now I'm not saying the camshaft is junk, no no, but the lifters tick like a mofo at startup for about 2 seconds. While it won't hurt anything, when I start the car around people it can be embarassing.:redface:

The real GM lifters are gone. They have a Stellite foot but I read that Johnson is back in business & they were a GM supplier.