Getting the car to look its best...opinions?

1987Vader

Fade to Black!
Ok, so now that the weather is starting to tease a bit here in Chicago, I am really wanting to get this GN shiny and smooth. Here is a list of products I have used in the past, but not sure if they are good for the GN. (With the exception of a few touch-ups, the paint is original 1987.) I would love to hear if any of these are bad, good, ugly...and what products I really SHOULD check out!

1. Meguiars: Mirror Glaze "Body Shop Professional Overspray Clay"
"Ultimate Quick Detailer" spray
"Ultimate Compound" liquid
Mirror Glaze 26 "High-Tech Yellow Wax"
"Gold Class" paste wax

2. Mothers: "Chrome Polish"

3. AromorAll: "Ultra Shine Wash and Wax" liquid
"TIRE FOAM"
"Triple Action Wheel Cleaner" spray
"Original Formula"

4. Wizards: "Shine Master" Polish and breathable sealant liquid
"Black Renew" trim liquid.

5. GUNK: "Foaming Engine Brite" cleaner

6. Rust-Oleum: "Undercoating" spray

7. Turtle Wax: "Bug Tar remover" spray

8. Liquid Glass: "Ultimate Auto Polish/Finish"

9. 3M: "Glass Cleaner" spray

So...opinions please! Any products that I definitely need to check out or stop using?

Check out Jax Wax. I have used just about every wax and this stuff is the best - bar none! It is quick and easy to use. I tried it at the BPG event in Columbus last summer and was amazed at how well it worked on black. This is coming from someone who used to spend hours & hours using Zaino on my original paint car.

That's it. There was a guy in Columbus at the BPG event who had the carnuba wax applied to the hood of a GN that was sitting in the bright sun. The wax was on for hours and wiped off easily with great results. I buy the "Hawaiian" detail spray and now I use my $18 a bottle Zaino Grand Finale detailer on my wife's car... no kidding! There were 3 of us at the BPG and we all are now hooked on the "Hawaiian" detail spray.

I find it hard to beleive that there is a better product than Zaino. I have used all kinds over the years and Zaino has been the best. The guy I bought my GN from told me about it. I wouldnt buy anything else.

Z-AIO All-in-one: Zaino Store

Ok...seems like this is a process with many choices. What Zaino products do you use?

Start with this.

Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit: Zaino Store

I know it is a little pricey but worth every penny and will last for a while. It has everything you need. Follow the directions. They come with the poducts and are on the website. I think the most important thing is the clay bar. It removes all of the old crappy products you have been useing before you start applying the good stuff.:smile:

After the clay, apply the Z-5. Then spray on a coat of Gloss Enhancer. Then a coat of Z-2. Another coat of Gloss Enhancer and finally another coat of Z-2. I use the Z-2 on everything (windsheild, rims, bumpers). I promise you wont be dissappointed.:D

Attachments

• DSC01205.jpg
    DSC01205.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 544
  • DSC01195.jpg
    DSC01195.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 539
  • DSC01206.jpg
    DSC01206.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 546
  • DSC01129.jpg
    DSC01129.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 525
  • DSC01036.jpg
    DSC01036.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 566
Your car looks great! There are many fine products out there and everyone has their favorites.

Check out my friends car... who was a Zaino man who converted us to the JaxWax.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/brakes-suspensions-tires-wheels/313090-new-look-completed.html

We were at the BPG event and he saw the JaxWax demo. We doubted him and did a "test" on a nice GN using my Zaino Grand Finale, Mequires detail sprays and the JaxWax Hawaiian detailer. WOW- no comparison! I would not have believed it unless I saw it for myself. I use it on glass, wheels and the entire car and no kidding... It is addictive stuff... I still have almost a full bottle of the Zaino Grand Finale but when I do my WE4 or GSX, I can't resist using the Hawaiian and I use the $18 Grand Finale to wipe of bugs on my Tahoe - I know that's sick but I'm not kidding!

I have found the 3M product line gave me the finish I was after (thread I started about how-to buffing) . And hey, it's easy to get.:biggrin:
Hoping I get a chance to finish the job one of these days.

And as for the question you listed by #:
#1 I used the mequires yellow 26 on my daily drivers.
#2 I use Turtle wax "chrome wax"
#3 I have never had much luck with a tire treatment I like. Tried alot of them, have a few on the shelf, but never have found just the right one yet.
#4- I use 303
#5- Thats what I use on the daily drivers.
#6- Not sure, but I have some I thought about using. Might use POR15 instead
#7, 8 & 9 I have no opinion. Glass cleaner is glass cleaner to me, wipe it on with a towel, wipe it off with newspaper.

Your car looks great! There are many fine products out there and everyone has their favorites.

Check out my friends car... who was a Zaino man who converted us to the JaxWax.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/brakes-suspensions-tires-wheels/313090-new-look-completed.html

We were at the BPG event and he saw the JaxWax demo. We doubted him and did a "test" on a nice GN using my Zaino Grand Finale, Mequires detail sprays and the JaxWax Hawaiian detailer. WOW- no comparison! I would not have believed it unless I saw it for myself. I use it on glass, wheels and the entire car and no kidding... It is addictive stuff... I still have almost a full bottle of the Zaino Grand Finale but when I do my WE4 or GSX, I can't resist using the Hawaiian and I use the $18 Grand Finale to wipe of bugs on my Tahoe - I know that's sick but I'm not kidding!

Yup,Joe has one HELL of a clean @ss car,im still blown away on how clean the Undercarriage & Engine is:biggrin::biggrin:

3M Imperial hand glaze. On a black non-clearcoated car is tops. Apply in a swirling motion like the swirls in the paint and remove using straight back and forth moves to leave the glaze in the scratchs. This is all we used 20 years ago on Laquer paint jobs. My 62 Chevy was black all thru the 80's and early 90's. I tried several waxs, but glazes were always the best.

2nd would be 3M Fill-n-Glaze, It is pink in color, but works almost as good.

Both are available at most parts stores that have a paint and body section.

Coach

3M Imperial hand glaze. On a black non-clearcoated car is tops. Apply in a swirling motion like the swirls in the paint and remove using straight back and forth moves to leave the glaze in the scratchs. This is all we used 20 years ago on Laquer paint jobs. My 62 Chevy was black all thru the 80's and early 90's. I tried several waxs, but glazes were always the best.

2nd would be 3M Fill-n-Glaze, It is pink in color, but works almost as good.

Both are available at most parts stores that have a paint and body section.

Coach

I thought the '87 GNs were clear-coated though...am I wrong? Is 3M Imperial hand glaze clear coat safe?

Pretty sure our cars are not clear coated. I think they are a water based laquer paint. They were painted between the laquer days and the later base coat clear coat paints. Maybe that's why so many original paint cars have poor paint.