Getting back into the GN game, have a few questions.

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
Hey all,

Been awhile since I was active here, in the least 2 years I've finished my thesis, graduated and received my MSME, started a new job, moved, etc. etc. etc. All the wonderful things life keeps us busy with. That being said, it didn't leave much time to work on my old GN. The good news is I recently got a 2nd car to be my daily driver, and moved into a place with an AWESOME garage (bathroom with shower, tile floor, AC unit, fridge, almost as big as my house itself, big workbench, slop sink, etc.) so I am pretty well set-up to get some work done on this beast.

First up on the list are to fix some basic driveability/safety issues (wobbly steering column and leaking power steering system, worn-out transmission) that I had just been 'living with' as I had neither time nor money to fix before. Once those are out of the way I am planning on doing some 'fun' work on her. I'm thinking along the lines of new up-pipe, TA33c turbo, exhaust system, either install the Spearco intercooler kit I've had for 5 years now or maybe throw on alky injection (maybe both?).

Unfortunately, I haven't been too active on the boards lately, and am a little out of touch with what the current performance offerings are. Hopefully you guys that are a little more up-to-date than I might be able to help out with the following questions:

1 - Who makes new up-pipes for our cars, and whose is best performance-wise? I have a badly leaking stocker, and need to replace it. If I can get one that ups performance a little, all the better. The only one that comes to mind is the JaysGN pipe (with a small flex section in the middle), but I don't know if that is still available, or if there are better options out there.

2 - Similar question to above, but replace up-pipe with turbo. Mine seems in pretty good shape (not much play, no signs of excessive oil leakage etc) but I'm looking to step up the performance. Back when I was active here a few years back, the only real "plug-n-play" option was a TA33C (anything bigger required some custom work as i recall). I think the 33 would be fine for my performance goals, but wasn't sure where to source one, or if something better has come along since.

3 - Have there been any new developments in the world of hot-air performance in the last few years? I seem to remember there being some discussion of someone spooling up to make headers for our cars? Then of course there always seemed to be someone working on an intake setup that would allow for easy and affordable intercooling, anyone managed to achieve the impossible yet?

I'm glad to be back, and I'm sure there will be a flood of new questions from me as I dig into my baby and figure out all the things I have forgotten about these cars :) thanks in advance guys. It feels good to be home.

Unfortunately Jay of JaysGN has passed so as far as a larger up pipe I don't know who makes them now.:( Welcome back and some new stuff should be coming out for the HA cars as far as the turbos from another source.:) Welcome back though.;)

Well, it is pretty easy to add an IC to a HA car, using an 86/87 intake.
Here is a pic of mine.

Attachments

• 85 engine pic.jpg
    85 engine pic.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 114
Hey all,

Been awhile since I was active here, in the least 2 years I've finished my thesis, graduated and received my MSME, started a new job, moved, etc. etc. etc. All the wonderful things life keeps us busy with. That being said, it didn't leave much time to work on my old GN. The good news is I recently got a 2nd car to be my daily driver, and moved into a place with an AWESOME garage (bathroom with shower, tile floor, AC unit, fridge, almost as big as my house itself, big workbench, slop sink, etc.) so I am pretty well set-up to get some work done on this beast.

First up on the list are to fix some basic driveability/safety issues (wobbly steering column and leaking power steering system, worn-out transmission) that I had just been 'living with' as I had neither time nor money to fix before. Once those are out of the way I am planning on doing some 'fun' work on her. I'm thinking along the lines of new up-pipe, TA33c turbo, exhaust system, either install the Spearco intercooler kit I've had for 5 years now or maybe throw on alky injection (maybe both?).

Unfortunately, I haven't been too active on the boards lately, and am a little out of touch with what the current performance offerings are. Hopefully you guys that are a little more up-to-date than I might be able to help out with the following questions:

1 - Who makes new up-pipes for our cars, and whose is best performance-wise? I have a badly leaking stocker, and need to replace it. If I can get one that ups performance a little, all the better. The only one that comes to mind is the JaysGN pipe (with a small flex section in the middle), but I don't know if that is still available, or if there are better options out there.

2 - Similar question to above, but replace up-pipe with turbo. Mine seems in pretty good shape (not much play, no signs of excessive oil leakage etc) but I'm looking to step up the performance. Back when I was active here a few years back, the only real "plug-n-play" option was a TA33C (anything bigger required some custom work as i recall). I think the 33 would be fine for my performance goals, but wasn't sure where to source one, or if something better has come along since.

3 - Have there been any new developments in the world of hot-air performance in the last few years? I seem to remember there being some discussion of someone spooling up to make headers for our cars? Then of course there always seemed to be someone working on an intake setup that would allow for easy and affordable intercooling, anyone managed to achieve the impossible yet?

I'm glad to be back, and I'm sure there will be a flood of new questions from me as I dig into my baby and figure out all the things I have forgotten about these cars :) thanks in advance guys. It feels good to be home.

What are your goals? Thanks Brad

1985 Buick Grand National - purchased 3-2-05
-Stock motor, turbo, etc.
-86/87 ignition conversion
-Walbro 340 and Hotwire
-86/87 ECM conversion with TurboTweak Chip (kicks ass!)
-"F-Body" Radiator, Ramchargers Dual Fans (160* with A/C blastin' in the Florida heat)
-ATR 2.5" Stainless Downpipe and test-pipe
-42.5# Injectors
-"Big Mouth" Cold Air Kit

These mods that are in ur sig are currently whats on the vehicle correct? with that in mind, and assuming you don't want to spend the crown jewels on the car than my suggestions would be:

update ur tt chip to a wide band chip

get a powerlogger to help you tune

Fix the uppipe ur worried about by either welding to repair or replace.

after that stuff you still have budget left , then I'd also go:

TA33c

have the throttle body ported or buy a ported or larger one, you already have the cold air kit.

go bigger on the down pipe, 3"

port the heads

port the intake or buy champions intake thats already ported.

upgrade the maf and get a translator+ so u can run a 3 or 3.5 in maf

1985 Buick Grand National - purchased 3-2-05
-Stock motor, turbo, etc.
-86/87 ignition conversion
-Walbro 340 and Hotwire
-86/87 ECM conversion with TurboTweak Chip (kicks ass!)
-"F-Body" Radiator, Ramchargers Dual Fans (160* with A/C blastin' in the Florida heat)
-ATR 2.5" Stainless Downpipe and test-pipe
-42.5# Injectors
-"Big Mouth" Cold Air Kit

These mods that are in ur sig are currently whats on the vehicle correct? with that in mind, and assuming you don't want to spend the crown jewels on the car than my suggestions would be:

update ur tt chip to a wide band chip

get a powerlogger to help you tune

Fix the uppipe ur worried about by either welding to repair or replace.

after that stuff you still have budget left , then I'd also go:

TA33c

have the throttle body ported or buy a ported or larger one, you already have the cold air kit.

go bigger on the down pipe, 3"

port the heads

port the intake or buy champions intake thats already ported.

upgrade the maf and get a translator+ so u can run a 3 or 3.5 in maf

This is basically my combo except a I would add a Razor kit and a TT 5.7 chip is all you need. This will put you into the twelves easily. My first and only run was 12.6 at 106 mph. Elevens will require a larger custon turbo, bigger injectors and either E85 or race gas. Brad

This is basically my combo except a I would add a Razor kit and a TT 5.7 chip is all you need. This will put you into the twelves easily. My first and only run was 12.6 at 106 mph. Elevens will require a larger custon turbo, bigger injectors and either E85 or race gas. Brad
You're right, I forgot the alky kit, alky really wakes these cars up.

. . . . . . Been awhile since I was active here, in the least 2 years I've finished my thesis, graduated and received my MSME, started a new job, moved, etc. etc. etc.
3 - Have there been any new developments in the world of hot-air performance in the last few years? ............ .

Corey, Congratulations! :cool:
The good thing is; “not much has changed" . . . . The bad thing is; “not much has changed”.
Therefore, whatever you remember is still current. ;)

As stated, post your goal . . . . . and . . . . Whatever the goal, spend your money on basics and tuning tools and get PL/WB/etc . . . . you will collect some amazing data . . . .;)

If you have E-85 available in your area, skip the IC and move straight to the E-85 conversion.
Welcome back . . . .