Getting Axles, what wheel studs?

Squid4life

So I am looking at new aftermarket axles from Moser, etc. Most seem to not come with wheel studs/lugs. Is the stock size lug sufficient in an ARP or other quality fastener brand? When should you upgrade or increase the size of the lugs. Will be using drag radials, maybe even slicks, and have considered a transbrake so I really don't want to shear any lugs. Would like to have the car in the tens some day, so what lugs are required?

Stock size, but use ARP or similar?
Drill them for 1/2" lugs?
Screw in better than pressed in?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

So I am looking at new aftermarket axles from Moser, etc. Most seem to not come with wheel studs/lugs. Is the stock size lug sufficient in an ARP or other quality fastener brand? When should you upgrade or increase the size of the lugs. Will be using drag radials, maybe even slicks, and have considered a transbrake so I really don't want to shear any lugs. Would like to have the car in the tens some day, so what lugs are required?

Stock size, but use ARP or similar?
Drill them for 1/2" lugs?
Screw in better than pressed in?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

I had Moser install 1/2" screw in & I dont think the 1/2" come in press fit? Plus I like the idea of screw in for replacement if ever needed. With DR's & Slicks 1/2" is what they said to use for my power level. Make sure they install whatever size you choose. Costs nothing extra & they are done right!

Cool, was sorta swaying that way. Just need to order all my crap together, make sure I get the right lug nuts for the welds, etc. Would like to stick with all Moser stuff, but heard bad things about their C Clip elims. Do you run them?

Personal opinion...Stock is not that much smaller than 1/2" and then you can have matching lug nuts.

If you run Weld's or another thick wheel then get the stock size just longer (3" or so).

Edit - I say this because I have been down this road twice and now wish I just had stock size.

Cool, was sorta swaying that way. Just need to order all my crap together, make sure I get the right lug nuts for the welds, etc. Would like to stick with all Moser stuff, but heard bad things about their C Clip elims. Do you run them?

No C Clips Elims for me. I dont beat on it like I used to 20 years ago.
Now I have about 3-4 track days a year at most. I used to go Every Weekend & 2 tracks.
Gotta be in bed by 10pm now! ;)

C-clip Elims here...I have heard bad things, but never had a problem...Other people have had nightmares.

My Baer 12" front disks came with 1/2".
I would opt for 1/2" in my case due to the 1/2" in front, however you might want to go with metric.

Ooh, crap. Didn't consider the stock T style rims that are on it now... Would have to get tapered seat 1/2" lug nuts to match up with those too. Dang, lug nuts aren't cheap either! Well, I guess either way with longer studs they would most likely have to be open ended anyhow. Decisions decisions... and more lug nuts to buy whichever way I go.

Well that depends...You only need longer studs if you are going to get wheels that need them, or if you just want your bases covered.

Ooh, crap. Didn't consider the stock T style rims that are on it now... Would have to get tapered seat 1/2" lug nuts to match up with those too. Dang, lug nuts aren't cheap either! Well, I guess either way with longer studs they would most likely have to be open ended anyhow. Decisions decisions... and more lug nuts to buy whichever way I go.

I had no issues with the 1/2" lugnuts on my aluminum Ttype wheels. Only issue I have, is a 4 way lug wrench (the one I have) won't fit over the longer studs & I have to carry a deep socket.

I had no issues with the 1/2" lugnuts on my aluminum Ttype wheels. Only issue I have, is a 4 way lug wrench (the one I have) won't fit over the longer studs & I have to carry a deep socket.

On my T rims I use regular style lug nuts but a small washer that forms to the rim hole. Been using 1/2" studs like that 10 years at least. Just grab 10 washers that are a bit bigger & they form into the rim perfectly. I dont know the size off hand? Just try a few.