Getting a pool table

georgewe4

I have a freind at work who has a grandmother that just passed away. They are selling stuff out of the house to settle the estate. I had the opportunity to buy a piano, pool table and ping pong table for 125.00. I took the deal.
I have a nice out building that houses my Buick, Jeep, Motrcycle, Go-kart, and other misc things. The building itself is 24X36. It has cement floors, drywalled, electric, and I have central heating and cooling in there as well. The side door and garage door is insulated the building is insulated. My dad is taking the piano since I have two. I am keeping the pool table and ping pong table. I had the thought of putting a room in the building to house the pool table and install a zone system for the heating and cooling. I could control the temperature in the room with the pool table seperate from what would be the garage area. I am having trouble however of what size room I would need to house a pool table and play comfortably.
I also had the thought of just putting everything in one corner and keeping the whole building open as it is now. I do not keep the building at 70 degrees all the time. During the summer the temp in there will get to a max of 77 degrees on the hottest day if I keep the building closed up. The humidity will get a little high but it can quickly be brought down with a little A/C. In the winter if I leave the heating system off, it will get down to about 35.
I don't know much about pool tables. I know this is a slate table. I know it is very heavy! I guess there are different size tables??? My friends mom said something about it being the size under the tables they play championship tournements on. Is there such a thing? If I keep the building open, do I have to keep the temperature in the building a constant temperature? Can I get some very nice heavy duty casters and when not in use cover the table and move it over against the wall. Just some thoughts. Trying to make the most out of what I am getting and the room that I have. Again, if it comes to a room, what size would be good?

Attachments

• Pool Table.jpg
    Pool Table.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 80
Being a slate table it should stay level due to its weight. If the wood is not real like press/particle board the humidity will have a effect.

Tournament tables are 4.5x9. Regulation is 4x8 and bar room is 3.5x7.

Generally have at least a 4 ft radius around the table. For ex; a 4x8 table would need a 12x16 room. Of course more is better. Put you cues in a stand. Don't lean them up against the wall.

For what you paid for it you could just stick it in the back yard and have fun. :D

You need at least 5' on all sides, but I prefer 6' because I am very tall and need to stretch out. Most pool cues are 57" long which is almost 5' long and you will be happy you have the extra room. If it is a 4x8 table you need a 14x18 room minimum and 16x20 room to play comfortably.

Humidity effects the table in many ways. If there is particle board involved, the sides will degrade. The moisture gets in the cloth and slows the balls down much like moist greens slow your golf balls.

Set it up and do not move it. Every time you move it, you weaken the supporting structure and unless it is a VERY expensive table($5000), eventually you will not be able to keep it level. Every time you move it, you will have to re-level it.

Yes, I'm a little anal about this subject, but I am a competitive pool player and get cranky if conditions aren't right. :)

Have fun with it and keep a fridge close stocked with beverages!!