Geoff...

Robbie-87plz

Junior Boost-Head
...Talked to someone about the 1k-2k stumble...

1. vacuum leak-check with carb cleaner
2. spark plug wire problem?
3. plugs gapped correctly?
4. fuel filter changed?
5. EGR-stick your hand under it when the car is running and push up, if the car dies, it should be good.

Hope that helps...:confused:

Originally posted by Robbie-87plz
...Talked to someone about the 1k-2k stumble...

1. vacuum leak-check with carb cleaner
2. spark plug wire problem?
3. plugs gapped correctly?
4. fuel filter changed?
5. EGR-stick your hand under it when the car is running and push up, if the car dies, it should be good.

Hope that helps...:confused:

Thanks, but...

I seriously doubt, that it is a vacuum leak, spark plug, or fuel filter, issue. As far as the EGR; Maybe, as the EGR is still in place, however the hoses are bypassed, and the EGR solenoid is disconnected right now.

The 1-2k "stutter" only happens after sitting in traffic with the A/C on. When the A/C is on, the car runs hotter, and the "stutter" happens. It does this in ANY gear. Once it does this, it does not matter whether or not the A/C is on or off. Also, when this happens, my TCC solenoid engages the torque converter in 4th gear and slams it really hard, on and off, repeatedly. I have to slow down, and shift into D so that it stops. :confused: Once the car cools down a bit, it runs fine.

So far, I have changed:

MAF, ECM, Chip, TPS, Coil/Ignition Module.

It has to be an electrical issue because of the TCC thing, but I'm clueless at this point.:confused:

What happens if you disconnect the plug at the transmission? Maybe the solenoid is bad or the TCC is hanging. Since the TCC is driven by the ecm, your ecm drivers may be bad.

Don't see why not, the tcc just won't engage electronically, but will engage hydraulically.

Originally posted by gofstbuick
What happens if you disconnect the plug at the transmission? Maybe the solenoid is bad or the TCC is hanging. Since the TCC is driven by the ecm, your ecm drivers may be bad.

Same thing. Still stutters. Not sure about the 4th gear slam with it unplugged. I'd guess that it doesn't though.... :(

Originally posted by Robbie-87plz
Would the car be driveable with the solenoid disconnected?:confused:

You wouldn't notice any difference, except when driving on the freeway. Instead of 1800 RPM @ 60 MPH, you'd probably see around 2200 or so.

sH*T, That's what I'm seeing right now. One day I'll climb under underneath mine and see what's up. Hope you find out what it is...:eek:

Could be that the solenoid is retaining the fluid and not allowing the TC to disengage.

Grasping at straws here...

..You mentioned that it happens when the a/c's on and the car's running hot. Maybe it's the radiator? Does the factory tranny cooler utilize the end tanks on the radiator? If it's clogged / raising the temps, it's affecting the tranny fluid, hence the problem?:confused:

Maybe I should clarify.....

When I say "running hot" it means above 170. My car runs at 160-162 with the A/C off.

Is it possible that you have an electrical issue that is putting undue load on a fusible link? What kind of condition is your fusible links in and could there be a resistance problem in one of them? I doubt it's the EGR, but you could blow propane at the base and see if it affects idle speed. Is the IAC passages clogged?

GN Owner PM'd me that the coolant temp sending unit causes the TCC solenoid to malfunction if it reads incorrectly. The ECM will also lock the torque converter up in an attempt to cool it down.

I'm going to try that route first. :)

Picked up the parts, but haven't installed them yet (the new temp senders). I just make sure that I turn the A/C off, if I hit traffic. Car runs just fine (160-162 deg.) if I do that.

25#'s on the street is cool! :cool: