General Hot Air questions 85 GN

stmello

Hey everyone. I just started back with reading this site. Very informative. It took me a while due to the fact that my newly aquired 85 GN (got it in Sept 08) has been burnign through the rest of my money with misc repairs of wear items. The prior owner did a lot of repairs which is why i didnt feel nervous buying it, however i soon found out that they were not done yet.

The stats on my car are as follows.

93356 miles. Rebuilt or replaced by prior owner are as follows:

Injectors, fuel pump and gas tank. Ignition and ECU upgrade to the 87 model. (Not sure if they did the MAF becuase i dont know how to identify it. If someone could help with that it would be great. )
Tranny rebuild, Turbo replaced (cant identify which one it is, again if someone could help with what to look for would be nice). I know its new, however my mechanic which is fairly familier with GN's (but only intercooled) seems to believe it is bigger than stock. New exhaust, downpipe and CAT. All appears to be stock size and configuration on that. Valve cover gaskets, O2 sensor and im sure im forgetting something. They had reciepts for about $6k in work. I picked the car up (and its well optioned and very clean) for $8500.00 before the economy tanked. Upgraded from disc calipers (name escapes me, but they are huge and fit under stock rims.

Replaced by by myself to the tune of $3600.

Aluminum High flow radiator, new water pump, all hoses as well. Cam and Crank sensors, rear main and oil pan gaskets. Fixed power steering leak. Fixed chapped out front break lines. Installed the cold air kit from TR Custom Parts (excellent clean installation). Found the alternator bracket was cracked and found either a really nice or nieve person sell the correct one to me off their now dead one for $25.00.

Car is riding on stock rims with Kumo's. Working on getting a set of GTA rims. Found the correct seal for the ASC moonroof (and im having someone else install it because im not stupid). Upgraded to a Sony CD player and updating the speakers in their original location.

Here is where im still having issues though:

The antenna base is loose. Its a non-power mast, and for the life of me, i cant figure without having to take off the fender how to get at it to tighten the base.

I found the cables from the power seat motor and have the switch now, however i dont know what other applications that motor can be on. I just need the motor at this point to install, but need to know the years of the "G" body that that motor will transfer from into this seat.

Im not going to go crazy with modifications as now with all the repairs the car runs smooth as silk with no pinging or any problems. However, having said that, i have been reading up on progressive alky kits and adjustable wastegates. Would the addition of these 2 items (say upping boost up to max of 16) make that much of a diffirence or should i just enjoy the car for the cruiser it is. I never plan on racing it, however, i would like to be able to feel a stronger rush on acceleration than i am at this point without loosing any driveability or spending a fortune.

Anyone that can help with identifying any of the parts i mentioned above the help would be greatly appreciated. Any other suggestions are welcome as well. As soon as i get off my a$$, i will get some pictures up of it.

My car has a power antenna and there's only two points to tighten. One is the nut on the base of the mast itself (it's just there, no fender work at all). The other bolts inside the fender openning of the door. If you open the passenger side door it's there on the inside. Like I said, mines a power model, so my experience is just with that.

You do not have to take the fender off to get to the antenna, just unbolt all the bolts along the door side of the fender and it will pull out from the bottom enough for you to reach in there.

As far as the power seat motor, I don't really know what cars have the same motor. Is the motor not running at all? If the motor is running, but the seat isn't moving than there's a plastic linkage that's probably broke.

Here it is short.

The 87 MAF has a sticker on the underside-BW3.

Turbo-Most likely stock. The upgrade is a TA33C which cost ~$900. The only way to tell is look at the compressor wheel through the throttle body. The stock turbo has a lip by the wheel and a TA33C has this lip machined out and a bigger compressor wheel.

Ant. Eric answered it.

Seat motor. Try GbodyParts. Call first.

Alky/Adj waste gate actuator- The Razor kit is the way to go. Kit is around $550 and you will need a new chip. Raising boost with no knock equals around 10 HP for each 1 lb boost above stock. Raising boost from 8lbs to 16lbs is around 80 HP.

Take-care. Brad

Thanks again to everyone for their replys and especially to Mark Stadt for all the help files he sent in attachments to me in e-mail. This will give me a great point of referance to figure out what the prior owner already did and what i still have to do.